Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the Sprint S5 a World Phone?

I have seen conflicting reports on what bands the Sprint S5 is compatible with, or if it even has a SIM card slot.

If I travel to Europe, will I be able to install a local SIM card and use the phone on GSM bands there?

Thanks!

Default Re: Is the Sprint S5 a World Phone?

Hum, not sure about that! I think it has everything to do with the chipset within the phone. Example: I know that Apple shipped off a million S5 phones to China mobile they put Advanced Chipset in the phone that would work in a TDD - LTE and not a LDD - LTE. What's the difference? The TDD is designed for small cell with super fast video down load speeds that you would normally fine on a direct cable TV with speeds greater that 150+ mbps. The only company that within the USA that has that technology is Sprint. All of the other phone companies have a LDD with speeds around 28mbps. So, I think you need to check to see if that S5 that you have will have the chipset that they use in Europe to make that work.