Can't hear caller but they can hear me??

Miss Galaxy

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I've just had a phone call and I can't hear anything they were saying.. the line was just silent, but they could hear me. I thought it was the callers phone at first but when I tested it with another phone it was the same and the problem was clearly with my phone. I restarted the phone and it works fine again. I'm just a bit worried that this will happen again. Has anyone else had this problem or do you know what has caused it?

I have the Galaxy S5, only had it about 2 weeks.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have had it happen a few times.

We just redial and all is well the 2nd time around.

It is not necessarily the S5 (or any) phone. The network does not always get sync'd up right and your audio path does not make it through.

The cellphone network is a far cry from being absolutely perfect. There is a huge amount of background stuff going on to connect 'A' to 'Z' and sometimes, "stuff happens".

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I've just had a phone call and I can't hear anything they were saying.. the line was just silent, but they could hear me. I thought it was the callers phone at first but when I tested it with another phone it was the same and the problem was clearly with my phone. I restarted the phone and it works fine again. I'm just a bit worried that this will happen again. Has anyone else had this problem or do you know what has caused it?

I have the Galaxy S5, only had it about 2 weeks.

Can you reproduce the problem at will ?
Has it occur frequently since you had your phone ?
So I assume that when you restarted the phone,and it worked correct you was at the same location.
If you can reproduce the issue at will,and the only way you can correct the issue is a reboot of phone.
I would take it back to my carrier's store,so they can verify and advise,before rebooting the phone.

Maybe someone else has had the samething happen and will reply as well.

Miss Galaxy

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Can you reproduce the problem at will ?
Has it occur frequently since you had your phone ?
So I assume that when you restarted the phone,and it worked correct you was at the same location.
If you can reproduce the issue at will,and the only way you can correct the issue is a reboot of phone.
I would take it back to my carrier's store,so they can verify and advise,before rebooting the phone.

Maybe someone else has had the samething happen and will reply as well.
I'm not sure what you mean producing it at will? It's the first time it has happened and it has been working since the reboot.

Thanks for your replies!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean producing it at will? It's the first time it has happened and it has been working since the reboot.

Thanks for your replies!

Basically what I meant was that you would have the issue anytime you made a phone call and it would take a reboot to correct the issue.
I glad that hasn't been the case from reading your reply, and is working fine now.

As a side note I had the opposite thing happen to me a couple years ago.(with another phone) I could hear them but they couldn't hear me
It only happened a couple of times and it would take a reboot to fixed it .I never did do anything since it was infrequent and stopped having that issue on its own.

Last edited:

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Yah I had this issue a week ago I did the same thing just redial I had this issue on my Verizon iPhone 5

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5

debielynne

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 4 and it happens to me all the time. I'm getting extremely frustrated. I power down my phone and it's okay for the next call but it continues to happen with calls after that. I shouldn't have to turn my phone off and on multiple times during the day.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Are any of you using a bluetooth device with your phones?

I used to have a lot of trouble with one way communications while using bluetooth.

but, that went away with 4.4.4 on Verizon, they fixed it.

PPCNI

May 22, 2015
Visit site
For info if it is of any use to anyone.
I have the exact same problem intermittently with an LG G3 on Three Mobile in the UK. (Quite often caller rings me, I answer, they can hear me, I can't hear them, they ring back second time or I ring them and everything works perfectly).

I'm 99% certain it's not a hardware problem.

I'm 30% certain it is some weird Android bug.

I'm 70% certain it is a problem with Three Mobile.

I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem as when I got my G3 I sold my old Sony Xperia M2 on eBay and the new owner said they were getting the exact same problem intermittently on 3 mobile.

It's very annoying - but I'm starting to think I'll never get to the bottom of it.

aidan00

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Just replying to say that I have exactly the same problem with an LG G3 on Three. I would buy a new phone but it seems so unlikely to be a hardware problem given it's always fine the second time of trying. Is this even worth pursuing with Three? Tempted to change network.

DeeCee2

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
Same problem using Moto g8 on EE. I guess it has to be the Android system. Ironic that phones can do so much and be so smart, but no good as a phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz