Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Low volume speakers after S5 is dropped in melted chocolate

There are certainly worse places to drop a phone, but this one should win some kind of award.

My daughter was in her apartment melting chocolate to make hand-dipped strawberries. It's unclear to me how this happened, but the S5 ended up in the hot, melted chocolate.

She grabbed it quickly, removed the case and removed the back cover and ran it under the faucet (not sure for how long).

The phone works fine...except...the speaker volume is lower than it used to be. It's not intolerably soft, just softer than before the chocolate. (Audio is perfectly fine when played through the headphone jack.)

The phone sounds better when the case is removed, almost as if it's covering up the speakers, but that wouldn't explain why the sound is softer after the melted chocolate dunking.

Is it more likely that the speaker is damaged (needing repair or replacement); or does the speaker grill need to be rid of debris? And if I were to clean it with a soft brush, what would I clean? I see what looks like a small speaker grille at the lower left of the back, but the sound appears to be coming from other places on the phone, too.)

Pending my checking into the status of insurance (Best Buy) on the phone, does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Low volume speakers after S5 is dropped in melted chocolate

Have you pulled the back cover off the phone and tried cleaning the speaker with alcohol and a needle? I'd check to see if there is some chocolate stuck in the speaker.

I'm sorry but LMAO at dropping it in melted chocolate.

It's probably all stuffed up with that stuff take the back off a day scrape it out

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yeah, I guess hand-dipped cell phones could become the new rage.

The inside of the phone looks very clean. How much alcohol would you use, and how deep would you push the pin?

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

Op, I can't be of much help but just to say my boyfriend dropped his in the deep fryer (not heated). His speakers sound like crap.

Boom! From My S5
    ~~ You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.