Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Default New "N" icon next to wifi activated icon

A new icon next to the WiFi activated connected suddenly appeared. It is a capital N but on the lower left side are 3 quarter circles ie like a wifi symbol & I am not sure why it is showing. My default home page on the internet is BBC & I thought that may be it was something to do with that as it was down for the last few days. But it is up & running now & the icon is still there. The N icon only shows when I connect my phone to my wifi at home. The phone says its connected to the wifi (message re the same) & indeed the wifi direct symbol is on with the arows flickering away. It also stays on even though I am right next to the wifi. I have had the phone for 2 months or so & it never used to show this symbol. The wifi at home has not changed & works normally with all other devices. Thanks

Default Re: New "N" icon next to wifi activated icon

I'm pretty sure that is the NFC (Near Field Communication) icon meaning you have NFC turned on. See image below, is that the icon?

New "N" icon next to wifi activated icon-new-phone-icon.jpg
    Devices: 16GB Nexus 5 | 16GB Nexus 7 | Chromecast
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Yes that is exactly the icon I was trying to describe. It suddenly disappeared but what I would like to know is what it means and how come it appeared etc. Thanks for your troubles

Did you by chance accidentally turn it on in settings. I have mine turned as I use Isis Wallet which requires it. If you have no apps that require it, it's best turned off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

My NFC icon looks different. Maybe a different carrier has a different icon? AT&T S5 Active here.

Quote Originally Posted by martin124 View Post
    A new icon next to the WiFi activated connected suddenly appeared. It is a capital N but on the lower left side are 3 quarter circles ie like a wifi symbol & I am not sure why it is showing. My default home page on the internet is BBC & I thought that may be it was something to do with that as it was down for the last few days. But it is up & running now & the icon is still there. The N icon only shows when I connect my phone to my wifi at home. The phone says its connected to the wifi (message re the same) & indeed the wifi direct symbol is on with the arows flickering away. It also stays on even though I am right next to the wifi. I have had the phone for 2 months or so & it never used to show this symbol. The wifi at home has not changed & works normally with all other devices. Thanks
    NFC maybe?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Defo NFC & yep now found out how to turn it off - I must have accidentally turned it on at some point. Thanks to all who have replied