Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Default Why are videos always blurry?

Hi, all! Does anyone know why even a 10 second video is completely clear on my phone, but when sent via text to someone is completely blurry? I love this phone, but this is a real issue =(

Default Re: Why are videos always blurry?

Your carrier has size limits for MMS messages so the phone automatically has to shrink the file size of the video (therefor decreasing quality) before it can send the message. Texts are simply a bad way to send files, especially videos.

Videos sent via MMS will be blurry because there's a size limitation, so video will be compressed when it's sent. That leads to blurriness.

You may want to look into different kinds of messaging apps. For example, if you send a video via Hangouts (as a Hangout, and not as an SMS message), I believe the video won't be compressed, because what you're doing is uploading the video to your Google+ account, then sharing the video with your friend via Hangouts.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    Your carrier has size limits for MMS messages so the phone automatically has to shrink the file size of the video (therefor decreasing quality) before it can send the message. Texts are simply a bad way to send files, especially videos.
    Is there any way to change that? For example, if someone sends me a video from their phone, I almost always see it clearly. It's really annoying - even a 3 second clip will be blurry -_-
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Videos sent via MMS will be blurry because there's a size limitation, so video will be compressed when it's sent. That leads to blurriness.

You may want to look into different kinds of messaging apps. For example, if you send a video via Hangouts (as a Hangout, and not as an SMS message), I believe the video won't be compressed, because what you're doing is uploading the video to your Google+ account, then sharing the video with your friend via Hangouts.
    Hmm..but I wouldn't necessarily want to upload all my videos to Google prior to sending...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Soho View Post
    Hmm..but I wouldn't necessarily want to upload all my videos to Google prior to sending...
    It is annoying but carriers limit mms videos pretty hard. .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Soho View Post
    No one else sees those videos except the person you're sharing them with.

There are many other cloud upload services out there if you want to avoid Google for some reason. I know that you can set the dropbox app to automatically upload photos and videos as soon as you take them. Then it's just a simple matter of sharing the link with whoever you want.

you can change your video settings to MMS so they will not be blurry...