Issues starting to appear, 2 months later

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Its been roughly 2 months that I have had my S5. Everything was pretty much perfect up till last week. The camera does not take clear photos, always seems like the autofocus is off even in very bright light, anything other than daylight and the images suck. I hear a rattle coming from the top of the phone if the phone is shaken, cannot figure it out. I have mobile data turned off if im not near any wifi sources, but when this is off why can't I send a group text? I can understand sending a pic or video, but a group text? Lastly, the battery is just dying way way to quick. I unplugged it around 5pm tonight and its at 62% and I haven't even used it for anything, no phone calls, no texts and no surfing the net. Its been in my pocket the entire time. I just tried to charge it via usb and it was actually still draining, went from 65% to 62% while "charging". I had to borrow a USB power adapter to charge it up.

Should I even bother calling Verizon or Samsung being that it is 2 months since I got the phone?

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Sorry you're having troubles. I'll try to briefly address two of the things you brought up. One, I (and many others from what I've read) have had that rattle since day one. People say it's either the auto focus or the pedometer sensor. Either way, it hasn't seemed to negatively affect my S5. Two, even though you're not sending texts or videos, a group text on Verizon is still MMS which, as far as I know, always requires a data connection to go through properly.

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I've closed, shut down, disabled, turned off, uninstalled whatever apps I dont need for hte phone to work on day one. Havne't rebooted since. Once im done with data if i need it for mms or whatever, i turn it back off and then hit the bottom left button and "close all", ever time. I checked the batter option in settings and only 2 things were showing as using battery are "android os 93% and android system 4%"

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
turned off or forced stopped alot of apps, multiple times even. Again battery dropped 35% in 3 hours.

where do i go to clear the cache?

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
alright i think i figured out the cache part through apps manager then all apps. I force stopped alot of apps and turned off others. there is just way to much crap in the phone. So much samsung this, samsung that, google this, google that. unreal. I dropped 12% while doing this too.

I am starting to wonder if hte battery itself has an issue. I haven't done anything different or installed anything over the last 2 weeks to cause more drain. It literally just started a few days ago, week tops. The phone also gets hot now too.

disneyf1

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey Steve,

I have used Battery Guru and like it pretty well. I found it when I had the DNA as it had no removable battery and I needed to optimize the one installed. It learns your usage habits and adjusts apps and power needs accordingly. I have no scientific proof that it works, but I did notice extended life for sure.

Check out Duke4life's thread in this forum:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/410806-galaxy-s5-awful-battery.html

and also this thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/411899-battery-doctor-similar-apps.html

Hope this helps
OZ

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
well whatever i did that night with turning things off and force stopping others had stopped the battery drain. Not sure what it was though. I have a batter saver that helps and i use it often to make sure things are stopped so battery isn't draining, but it wasn't doing anyhting when this issue popped up

However, i may goto verizon. This camera is just flat out crap, my lg took shaper pics than this. It has constant trouble focusing in anything other then perfect daylight. Night shots are just terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2