Dalvik vs ART

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't advise doing it. From what our writers have said in the podcast.. They really don't see a difference.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

kingnothing

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... I'm on tmobile. I ran ART on my nexus 5 and didn't really notice a difference. My wife's nexus 7 screen stopped rotating so I put her n7 on ART and it fixed it. Android, you are a strange mistress.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
There are a few threads running on this topic. I tried it on an AT&T S5 and had a horrible experience and switched back asap. On the other hand there has been a lot of success, I was not one of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It's not the need of the world if you try it and doesn't work out as you can always switch back.

It depends on the carrier and model I guess. As posted the difference is barely noticeable I guess I did it out of curiosity and wanted the latest. :)

DacyJ

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I tried it for about 20 minutes. Noticed private mode doesn't work, switched back.

Posted via Nokia 6230 (I play snake)

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
On my Nexus 5 it provided actual results. Things were just a smidge faster and it was a smoother experience. I also didn't have any serious bugs. The same can't be said about ART on the S5. The big deal breaker was Titanium Backup. It doesn't seem to want to freeze apps under ART (not a problem on my N5) in combination with force closes inside the camera app. I went back and honestly I didn't see any big differences. The biggest speed boost I saw was from disabling about 50 apps from Samsung and AT&T using Titanium. It's now almost as buttery as my N5 and the new TouchWiz interface is growing on me.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
G3, on art with minimal issues but also minimal benefit. In not switching back but I'd recommend staying on delvik

Posted via Android Central App

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is the version on the current S5 is not even at a beta level. Lots more work needed but wish I had a spare S5 to play with it more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm conflicted...

While on Art I get seldom screen freezes causing me to battery pull but the battery lasts and lasts

On Dalvic I run smooth as silk but battery burns faster.

Sigh...

Posted via Android Central App

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I tested it for like an hour and quickly switched back to Dalvik. It actually seemed much slower than Dalvik. It's definitely not ready for every day use. I'd stick with Dalvik but as other have said, try it out if you're curious for yourself. You won't hurt anything.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I realize this thread is old, but I wanted to share my experiences. I'm completely new to Android but I've done a lot of research and did so before purchasing my GS5.

I've only had the phone a couple days but I've been messing with all sorts of apps and tweaks and have had my phone on ART since this morning. At times it seems just a tad buggy, but overall it runs smooth. I tried it with animation scales off but it actually performs smoother with them scaled up to .5 again. Everything from screen rotation to app launching/notification center actions all seem smoother. Battery life seems better too, but I haven't done a ton of use to be super confident about this aspect yet.

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I also must revive this post only to help G3 users. I was about to sell my G3 on eBay because I ran out of patience with the lag but then I saw a YouTube video today which says if you switch to ART and reduce animations to .5 that the lag would disappear. I just tried it and now my G3 flies even faster than my brother's M8. We were both shocked at the performance increase. I will now keep my G3 because the lag was the only thing I didn't like about it but now the lag has vanished. Unbelievable. Give it a shot but let the phone settle in for several minutes because when you first make the conversion it will be choppy but once it settles in it becomes like butter :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I switched to ART the moment I got my Nexus 5 and it really does make a difference.

Everything from multitasking, app opening, loading and scrolling becomes noticeably faster.

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Once it gets converted over to ART, do a restart so that it will come up properly and be stable.

Yes definitely! I let it settle down for 5 minutes then did a restart and let it settle for another 5 minutes. It is not a small difference it is huge. It feels like the difference between a dual core to quad core upgrade. I still can't believe the difference I'm on cloud 9! No wonder 5.0 Lollipop is using ART as the default runtime in place of Dalvik.

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I switched to ART the moment I got my Nexus 5 and it really does make a difference.

Everything from multitasking, app opening, loading and scrolling becomes noticeably faster.

I agree everything improved dramatically :). If you own a G3 and experience lag then you must do this. You don't need the dangerous thermal or throttling settings modifications to get rid of lag. All you need is ART and .5 animations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty