S5 or LG g3

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I have an LG g3 for verizon but I can't use hotspot with my unlimited data without root, but someone is trying to trade me his s5 which could I use fox fi with, and he'll give me 50 bucks, is it worth trading for? How good is the s5?

Posted via Android Central App

It depends how much value you place on tethering. If that is your main concern, I feel like there has to be some sort of hack that allows it to work on the g3. IF nothing else the s5 isn't that bad of a device (unless you talk to the tech heads) Not to mention the s5 gets better battery life. Other than that I would wait and see with the g3 since it is a little newer device.

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Resistant not waterproof

IP67 means tested at 1 meter under water for 30 minutes with no degrade in performance. I pretty much consider this water proof, although pressure increases with depth, so I wouldn't get too carried away.

Mine has seen the bottom of a bath tub, several dips in a hot tub, and also shot video from the side of a sail boat in 8 foot waves, getting pounded by water the whole time. Still going strong!

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that almost all android phones released now are the same. I have an s5, gf has a g2, mine is on paper the superior phone, however I can't tell a lick of difference in day to day use between the two other than the ui. ....just get whatever you feel like you want because the g3 and the s5 are really the same.
Yes one has a better display, one hour more of battery time blah blah, but it really makes no difference.

I like the g3 design. S5 is kind of a boring as hell phone, already shattered the camera lense protector because they stupidly made it protrude out of the body. My case couldn't even stop it from shattering.
Both are great phones and you'll like both of them the same.

I also find tethering useless now because everywhere you go, there is wifi available. And if you're that cheap that you can't spend 30 bucks a month on 10mbps bandwith at home and prefer slow tethering then I don't know what to tell you. 3 years ago, tethering was great, now? Not so much.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had the LG G3 but I returned it for the S5 mainly because I prefer galaxy devices but there were a few issues:

Screen seemed to be washed out

Screen is dimmer than other screens, therefore I needed to put the brightness a lot higher than I am used to even in indoor settings. Thus I was worried about how this would effect battery life.

The phone heated up a lot.

On the few times that I used it the call quality was quite low.

It felt like there wasn't as many accessories as there are for the S5 and the ones that were available aren't easy to get hold of where I live.

These things might not be important for others though.

Posted from my S5

I am with you. I agree with all except call quality was fine for me. The screen on the G3 was dimmer than my Nexus 5 and even on the video by Lisa you can see the difference. Also had some heating up watching some videos not on wifi but on LTE, so returned it in the 14 day return period. My daughter came to visit this weekend and has a new S5. I was impressed with the size, how light it was and that screen is amazing. I have owned every Galaxy S phone from 1 to 4 but did not get the 5 because it has 16GB internal storage. I keep holding out hope that they will release a 32GB model with a 805 by the end of the year. Not a fan of the gee wiz stuff on the S5 but the basics are pretty solid and I think the screen is even better that the G3 screen even with a QHD screen.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Funny mine has non of these issues you probably had a dude.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Objectively, there are too many instances of the issues above to be anecdotal. If the screen did not heat the phone up they would not have engineered screen brightness throttling to lower the brightness when the phone heats up. Not trying to bash the G3, it has some great points, but to paint every issue that everyone has as a lemon is just not accurate. The QHD screen comes at great cost in heat and battery.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Why not try both. Most stores have a 14 day returns policy.

That's what happened to me, got the G3 didn't like and so returned it for the S5. Probably shouldn't have got the G3 in the first place but I commend myself for trying something different lol

Posted from my S5

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Try both. We can't possibly tell you which phone will work for you and your situation. Both phones have pros and cons.

AndyLu

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree try both. I never watch movies on my phone. I have a laptop or tablet for that. Screen doesn't seem washed out on my g3. Also the screen on the g3 seems way to bright even set at 0%.
As far as Samsung goes they make as many accessories as Apple.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
For the most part when you're comparing phones of a similar caliber, you're best to focus on features you WANT in a phone. Oh great the phone can monitor your baby's location and will make a cup of coffee for you, but what good is it if you don't have a baby and don't drink coffee.

What I typically do is make a list of pros and cons for the phones I'm interested in. List them from most important to you to least important. Then literally give a +1 to all pros and -1 to all cons that pertain to my desires. The phone with the highest score I invest in. Now if it hasn't been said, MOST stores have a return policy of 7-28 days depending on the store. INQUIRE, don't assume. Grab the phone and test it out. If you don't like it within that time frame, return to the store and tell them you don't like it and want to EXCHANGE. Saying you want to exchange let's them know you want to continue the service, but just want a different phone.
As long as you don't abuse the exchanging, and the phone is in good un-rooted condition, you're totally fine.

In regards to the phones being water proof, they simply are not, period. They're water resistant, but again, that does not mean you should submerge the phone in liquid to test/prove this. The water resistance is for simple mistakes and mishaps, not underwater video taking.

I personally was interested in the G3, BUT the buttons on the back of the phone were a total undisputable killer for me. That being said, remember, to each his own. But above all, I HIGHLY recommend watching multiple YouTube videos of both phones operating as well as go into the stores and hold the phones and play with them a little (if possible)

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the g3, hands down the best phone I've used and haven't had any of the problems mentioned earlier. Returned my s5 before the 2 week exchange was up. Samsung just isn't producing quality products anymore..boring designs and all these gimmicks that just bloat the phones touchwiz.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
S5 all the way....faster recharge battery with usb 3.0 , very good camera, water proof, ultimate power saving mode, bright screen, private mode..

The G3 has its own variation of Private mode as well as its own battery saving mode. And the faster recharging is only when plugged into a laptop w/ the USB 3.0 cable. Not really a deal breaker to me..

steve Sharra

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Even when you charge it with the wall adapter , it charges fast like my wife's iphone 5s...I played with the lg g3 at the store and it didn't offer a big wow over s5 , I think its ok phone but nothing to go crazy about...but everyone has their own opinion, the s5 has a lot going for it. But for lg they are going in the right direction

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Even when you charge it with the wall adapter , it charges fast like my wife's iphone 5s...I played with the lg g3 at the store and it didn't offer a big wow over s5 , I think its ok phone but nothing to go crazy about...but everyone has their own opinion, the s5 has a lot going for it. But for lg they are going in the right direction

Yeah, my S5 charges crazy fast if I use the USB 3 cable. It's nice that I can still use all of my old chargers and cables as well. This is the second Galaxy phone I've owned and I really like this platform. I admittedly haven't tried the G3 yet. I need to got to a store and mess around on one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463