Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S5 or LG g3

I have an LG g3 for verizon but I can't use hotspot with my unlimited data without root, but someone is trying to trade me his s5 which could I use fox fi with, and he'll give me 50 bucks, is it worth trading for? How good is the s5?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    5,195 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Default Re: S5 or LG g3

IMO, no. I realize using Foxfi may be important for you but the differences of 32GB vs 16GB, 3GB RAM vs 2GB RAM, QHD display, alone are worth staying put. Plus Verizon is going to start throttling Unlimited users on 4G (as they have been doing on 3G). Honestly its only a matter of time before Verizon finds a way to kill all Unlimited users plans. They can simply say no more unlimited.

*** Updated*** I found this on YouTube which was a video about the Verizon LG G3 FREE Wifi Tether 4G HotSpot Hack. Root is required.

They get the same battery life and one has a bigger screen. The Samsung has a more color accurate display colors and the G3 is sharper. The ram makes no difference because they both hog it all anyway lol. But $50 is a dumb little price for these two great phones.

S5

Never give up
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

They won't throttle if your still under contract only if your month to month user and I am still under contract until 2016 I managed to renew it without loosing my unlimited data, I heard and read you have to meet all the requirements to get throotled and I don't.

Global Posts
    5,195 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I gave up on Samsung, lack of design, lack of updates (more a carrier than OEM cause) and most of all gimmicky features that simply don't add much value and suck up storage space.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Is rooting safe and would it void my warranty?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Is the antenna signal good? It has sucked in previous galaxies

Quote Originally Posted by diegofs89 View Post
    Is rooting safe and would it void my warranty?

Yes pretty much, if done correctly... Yes I believe it does, but with Towelroot most are reporting that it's not tripping any counters and it can be undone with Superuser

"Is the antenna signal good? It has sucked in previous galaxies"

The S5 is pretty much on par with my iphone and the Htc One M8 that I had before. The only one that I have had previously with better reception was a Moto X. Had an S3 when they came out and the reception wasn't that great but it was acceptable in my area on AT&T.

S5 all the way....faster recharge battery with usb 3.0 , very good camera, water proof, ultimate power saving mode, bright screen, private mode..

I would not hesitate going with the G3 I have the G2 and prefer over the S5 Samsung has screwed me to many times to ever go back

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I used an HTC Rezound which I thought had good reception and data signal, and I think it's better than my HTC Rezound in some places, though the data signal may be worse in my room. But I'll tell you this, at my job, the rezound struggled with having fast 4G LTE speeds at a certain area in the office. The S5 does better in the same area and the internet works faster which could be related to being an updated phone.

I've had the LG G3 but I returned it for the S5 mainly because I prefer galaxy devices but there were a few issues:

Screen seemed to be washed out

Screen is dimmer than other screens, therefore I needed to put the brightness a lot higher than I am used to even in indoor settings. Thus I was worried about how this would effect battery life.

The phone heated up a lot.

On the few times that I used it the call quality was quite low.

It felt like there wasn't as many accessories as there are for the S5 and the ones that were available aren't easy to get hold of where I live.

These things might not be important for others though.

Posted from my S5
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.
    planoman likes this.

Global Posts
    1,866 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

I would rather have my S5 because of the Super AMOLED display and the super battery life. However... I would pick the G3 over the HTC One (M8).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve Sharra View Post
    S5 all the way....faster recharge battery with usb 3.0 , very good camera, water proof, ultimate power saving mode, bright screen, private mode..

Resistant not waterproof

How good is the S5? Right now it's THE best out there, we still have 5 more days until it's released up here.

I just wish the G3 was Waterproof and/or offered USB 3.0. The features and specs are similar, I doubt you can tell the difference and LG has Samsung's MultiWindow so I think it will come down to the display and is it comfortable to use?
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts

Trust me you will not like the G3 I had experienced it . It feels so classic for me

Quote Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
    I've had the LG G3 but I returned it for the S5 mainly because I prefer galaxy devices but there were a few issues:

Screen seemed to be washed out

Screen is dimmer than other screens, therefore I needed to put the brightness a lot higher than I am used to even in indoor settings. Thus I was worried about how this would effect battery life.

The phone heated up a lot.

On the few times that I used it the call quality was quite low.

It felt like there wasn't as many accessories as there are for the S5 and the ones that were available aren't easy to get hold of where I live.

These things might not be important for others though.

Posted from my S5
    Funny mine has non of these issues you probably had a dude.

Topgonzo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lou61166 View Post
    Funny mine has non of these issues you probably had a dude.

Maybe I did. The guy at the store offered to replace it for another one but I decided to go for the S5.

Posted from my S5

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    How good is the S5? Right now it's THE best out there, we still have 5 more days until it's released up here.

I just wish the G3 was Waterproof and/or offered USB 3.0. The features and specs are similar, I doubt you can tell the difference and LG has Samsung's MultiWindow so I think it will come down to the display and is it comfortable to use?
    The LG is waterproof, although not officially certified there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing it surviving in water for an hour or so.

Posted from my S5

Samsung Galaxy S5 is awesome but LG G3 is the superb beast
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by diegofs89 View Post
    I have an LG g3 for verizon but I can't use hotspot with my unlimited data without root, but someone is trying to trade me his s5 which could I use fox fi with, and he'll give me 50 bucks, is it worth trading for? How good is the s5?

It depends how much value you place on tethering. If that is your main concern, I feel like there has to be some sort of hack that allows it to work on the g3. IF nothing else the s5 isn't that bad of a device (unless you talk to the tech heads) Not to mention the s5 gets better battery life. Other than that I would wait and see with the g3 since it is a little newer device.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bbmjack View Post
    Resistant not waterproof

IP67 means tested at 1 meter under water for 30 minutes with no degrade in performance. I pretty much consider this water proof, although pressure increases with depth, so I wouldn't get too carried away.

Mine has seen the bottom of a bath tub, several dips in a hot tub, and also shot video from the side of a sail boat in 8 foot waves, getting pounded by water the whole time. Still going strong!

Global Posts
    1,866 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Here is a very thorough comparison of the two:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
    Thanked by:

Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that almost all android phones released now are the same. I have an s5, gf has a g2, mine is on paper the superior phone, however I can't tell a lick of difference in day to day use between the two other than the ui. ....just get whatever you feel like you want because the g3 and the s5 are really the same.
    Yes one has a better display, one hour more of battery time blah blah, but it really makes no difference.

I like the g3 design. S5 is kind of a boring as hell phone, already shattered the camera lense protector because they stupidly made it protrude out of the body. My case couldn't even stop it from shattering.
    Both are great phones and you'll like both of them the same.

I also find tethering useless now because everywhere you go, there is wifi available. And if you're that cheap that you can't spend 30 bucks a month on 10mbps bandwith at home and prefer slow tethering then I don't know what to tell you. 3 years ago, tethering was great, now? Not so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast