Should I get an S5 on Verizon?

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious since I just returned my G3. How is the battery life on this device? Let's hear your opinions! And everything else.

Posted via Android Central App

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
It's a good phone. Tbh the battery life sucks, not sure why people are hooting and hollering. If I check my fb or even hell, I spent 6 minuets on this app and typed a reply, battery went from 97% and now I'm down to 89, just off 10 minuets of usage. But other than that, it's a decent phone. My camera lense protector thingy shattered, even though it was in a case because samsung stupidly make the camera stick out. So there is that.
The g3 is a better designed option, but both are really the same.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It's a good phone. Tbh the battery life sucks, not sure why people are hooting and hollering. If I check my fb or even hell, I spent 6 minuets on this app and typed a reply, battery went from 97% and now I'm down to 89, just off 10 minuets of usage. But other than that, it's a decent phone. My camera lense protector thingy shattered, even though it was in a case because samsung stupidly make the camera stick out. So there is that.
The g3 is a better designed option, but both are really the same.

People are "hooting and hollering" because most of us are getting much better battery life than that. Something abnormal is going on with your particular device. I can routinely get over 3-4 hours of screen time on a single charge, and that's without even attempting to use power saving techniques or apps. A 9% drain in 10 minutes is, as I said, abnormal.

OP, to answer your question more specifically I'll attach some screenshots I just took showing my usage today which I would call "typical" for myself. Phone's been off the charger for almost 24 hours, almost 3 hours of screen time with plenty of juice left. If I cared about being more battery-efficient, I'm sure those numbers could be a lot better.

Last edited:

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-27-20-17-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-27-20-17-04.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2014-07-27-20-17-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-27-20-17-08.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 27

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The people that "hoot and holler" about battery life have to cripple the device in order to get the battery life they are claiming. No way you can use this device and get good battery life without disabling features. A user shouldn't have to set the screen brightness to 35% or even lower to maximize battery. People that say they go 2 days on a battery charge obviously don't use the device very often during those two days. I am a moderate user and can get about 18 hours on a charge (I charge every night) and screen time is somewhere in the 3-4 hour range but you guessed it - I have to cripple it to get it.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
People are "hooting and hollering" because most of us are getting much better battery life than that. Something abnormal is going on with your particular device. I can routinely get over 3-4 hours of screen time on a single charge, and that's without even attempting to use power saving techniques or apps.

I too can easily get over 3.5 hours of screen on time without hitting a quarter tank. After rooting, freezing over 50 gunk apps, and installing Greenify I have hit over four hours with 40ish% left. Should have taken a screenshot.

For the naysayers that claiming you have to turn everything off: I leave WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFC on. I leave the brightness at about 40% (where I like it anyway) and use it all of the time for texting, music streaming from Beats Music, surfing the web and Android Central, and the occasional phone call. Battery life is way better than my Nexus 5.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I leave GPS on High Accuracy and WiFi on most of the time.

I do turn Data off when the screen goes into lock mode. (MacroDroid)

I have the Display time out set to 10 minutes simply because I do a lot of web surfing, forum participation, newspaper reading, technical articles, etc....

When I'm thru with the phone, I just touch the Power Button and it goes to sleep, data goes off.

If I am out in the rural areas (which is a lot on my job), that saves the battery for when I am near a cell site.

I use the phone a good bit and still have 30 to 50 percent left by bedtime.

There is a Wireless charging pad by the bed and that is where the phone sleeps and recharges.

"Normal Use" is a term that is thrown out a lot.

"Crippling a phone" is also a bunch of hogwash terminalogy. The phone is not crippled simply because data is turned off. Who the hell uses or needs data if the phone is in your pocket? I sure don't.

At screen unlock Data is ON
Email loads in about 3 seconds.
Facebook loads in about 5 seconds.

That is not a crippled phone. That is smart use of a very smart powerful phone that can easily give a full day, if not 2 full days of moderately heavy use.

If the phone is not used, my battery looses about 1% per hour or less. Usually way less.
That just means that when the phone is needed there is always a lot of battery there to do anything my heart wishes to do.

2 days ago, I used the phone as a map navigation device, did full time scanning of some police channels, got to watch a real live "in person" motorcycle evading the cops.... the police scanner kept me "in the know" and 45 minutes later that guy lands in jail..... the phone still had 45% after a 350 mile trip and to home.

That is not a crippled phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7