Unfortunately "every background app" has stopped working...

tdi1985

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I've seen a few threads about how this is manifesting itself for people. For me, you name it, I'm getting pop ups for just about any app or background service that it is crashing. Not sure if it's related but there have been times when the camera app would not be able to fully start up, and the only fix was a restart.
Other threads I've seen, Some service might have had an incomplete update so it's behaving intermittently; other devices that updated to 4.4.2 earlier this year having the same wide sweeping problem; or just Google Play Store is giving the unfortunately error.

Some threads have implied that a factory reset is the only option, but that sounds annoying, and I'd very much like to avoid it.

Any thoughts on this? Been experiencing it for the last few days now. Other than some update running recently that I didn't notice, the only other behavior I've changed is that I've had to use the two power saving modes more recently because battery life also seems to be an issue, but I think that has more to do with me running mobile iron apps on my phone for work email integration - just started using that in the last few weeks.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I just posted in another thread that I just used Kies3 to restore "Locations" only from a "known good" backup.
I did not want to do a full restore, just wanted the phone working again, and the single check mark for "locations" has done it.

That has worked for me at least 3 times and the process only takes about 3 minutes.

I am fully convinced that an update got started and was interrupted

tdi1985

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
As an update on this... I started thinking this was sourced from Google Play Store. I uninstalled updates on that specific app and restarted. Updates were reinstalled and other apps that had been failing also got new updates. I haven't been having any issues for a few days now. I definitely think this came down to some interrupted updates.
Can't be 100% sure this was the correlation, but if so, kind of surprised that the OS would let failed updates/installs stay on the phone and cause so much instability.