Okay Google For Samsung Galaxy Gear

AlfieB

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I've been scouring the Web for a way to get okay google on your Samsung Galaxy Gear, I found nothing! Until I found an app called OpenMic which let's you have Okay Google active all the time even when the screen is off a bit like a Moto X, but hidden in the app was a gem the mighty listen over Bluetooth headsets button it's a premium feature however you don't have to pay just when the notice pops up click share and share to two social networks, simple! Then mark Bluetooth headset, warning this app can be horribly annoying if set up wrong eg turning on the listen feature when opening or closing app this takes away the options and just is annoying so make sure to mark always listening also there is for screen off mark this at your own choice. However back to the Gear, once you've ticked Bluetooth headset simply connect your Gear watch to your phone and make sure OpenMic is listening (turn on always listening) then once always listening forgot about your phone! Put it away and talk into that damn watch if configured properly and connected you should put your mouth near the speaker and say Okay Google followed by your command (Don't do it in a noisy environment) and although there is no visual feedback if your phone has 3G/4G or wifi you should hear your watch talk back telling you the answer to your command! It's that simple! Enjoy Google now on your watch! No more crappy S Voice. This should also work on Gear 2 and Gear Fit. Hope this helps! All thanks appreciated as I spent a lot of time making this simple and readable and easy for you to do.

Download OpenMic from Google Play Store.

Posted via Android Central App

AlfieB

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site

Attachments

• 2014-07-28-12-13-45.jpg
    2014-07-28-12-13-45.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-10-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-10-11.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 94

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I shared the app to enable bluetooth, hotword detection ON, listen over bluetooth ON...can't get it to listen to "ok google" from my watch. Google works if my phone hears my voice. If I walk away from phone so that my voice is picked up only by watch, it doesn't work.

AlfieB

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I shared the app to enable bluetooth, hotword detection ON, listen over bluetooth ON...can't get it to listen to "ok google" from my watch. Google works if my phone hears my voice. If I walk away from phone so that my voice is picked up only by watch, it doesn't work.

Strange 5 people have told me it has worked for them. Have you definitely ticked Bluetooth over headsets and which Gear do you have?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Strange 5 people have told me it has worked for them. Have you definitely ticked Bluetooth over headsets and which Gear do you have?

Gear 2. I also went in to the Google Voice Search Settings and enabled Bluetooth headset recording. Can't think of anything I have missed. Is everyone isolating their phone so it isn't the phone that picks up their voice?

I have a Note 2. Now I see this thread is in the s5 forum. I got here by following a link from the Gear2 forum. Maybe not having an S5 is the issue?

Last edited:

AlfieB

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Gear 2. I also went in to the Google Voice Search Settings and enabled Bluetooth headset recording. Can't think of anything I have missed. Is everyone isolating their phone so it isn't the phone that picks up their voice?

I have a Note 2. Now I see this thread is in the s5 forum. I got here by following a link from the Gear2 forum. Maybe not having an S5 is the issue?

No its definitely not I posted it in the wrong place I have a Note3 if set up correctly should work fine. I have the Gear original however. How's the Gear 2?

Gandrew1989

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Just so you know,
the gear fit does not have a microphone, so there would be no way to make this happen via that wearable.

Im a Samsung Consultant, and I'm interested to try this process out with my gear 2 customers. Thanks for the tip.