Difference between turning off phone and restart??

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi;

Wondering if there is a difference in actually turning off the phone completely then back on and just doing a restart?

After uninstalling apps and making other changes I like to restart the phone.

Any difference?

Thanks!

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi;

Wondering if there is a difference in actually turning off the phone completely then back on and just doing a restart?

After uninstalling apps and making other changes I like to restart the phone.

Any difference?

Thanks!

There's no difference. You're good either way.

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
There is a diff. Quickly pushing the power button just turns off the screen and enables the lock screen on power on. All running programs are still loaded into memory. If an uninstalled program had some memory allocated and the OS did not release it the memory is still unusable by other apps.

In a full power off everything is gone from memory, apps, allocated memory, etc.

Think of it as Windows sleep function vs shutdown.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There is a diff. Quickly pushing the power button just turns off the screen and enables the lock screen on power on. All running programs are still loaded into memory. If an uninstalled program had some memory allocated and the OS did not release it the memory is still unusable by other apps.

In a full power off everything is gone from memory, apps, allocated memory, etc.

Think of it as Windows sleep function vs shutdown.

I think you misread what the OP was asking. He asked about a difference between turning the phone completely off versus a restart.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Ibcop is correct, the op was NOT asking about turning the screen off. The question was about the difference between a complete power off and a restart (otherwise known as a reboot)

Sent from a Galaxy S5 Far Far Away

Flash_67

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I had an issue with my Verizon S3 phone, as it would NOT receive Messages or Phone calls, and also switched from 4G to 3G all on it's own.
I tried a bunch of Restarts and Nothing changed. I called Customer Support and they told Me that there is a Difference between Restart & Power Off and back on. Once I did a Power Off & On the change was good and went back to 4G and my Phone & Messaging starting working again.
So there must be a difference between the Two.
I don't get it tho because they Both shut down the phone. Anyone have an Answer to WHY it makes a Difference ?

aa6vh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I am surmising here:

There is volatile memory and non-volatile memory. Volatile memory is erased when power is turned off.

A restart does not turn the power off, so that volatile memory area would not get erased on a restart.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital