Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't connect to a PC using USB

I've had my S5 for a couple of months now, and haven't been able to get it to connect via USB for file transfer. It will charge from the PC's USB port, but the phone doesn't recognize that it's connected to a computer, and there is no indication in the notification area that it's connected. On the PC side, it does not show up in device manager. This is the case on multiple PCs, as well as my MacBook (using Android file transfer). I've also tried installing the Samsung USB drivers, which did not help.

The weird thing is that when I first got the phone, I do remember seeing the USB symbol show up in the notification bar when it was connected, and I seem to remember seeing it show up as a removable disk. Then, at some point it stopped working.

Is there anything else I can try before I make a trip to Verizon?

Default Re: Can't connect to a PC using USB

You said that you already installed the USB drivers from Samsung, then the next thing I will ask you is: Once it is connected, have you swiped the screen down and to get the two different choices available to connect to the computer ?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No, there is nothing in the notification tray indicating that it is connected to a PC.

When you connect don't you get an icon on the left top corner of the screen ??

I wanna know if it is the OEM USB cable you use or you are using a cable from others.It maybe the cable that cuase the problem.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Karl, you hit the nail on the head. I've been using the USB3 cable that was shipped with the phone. This morning I swapped it out for a USB2 cable and the connection came up fine and I was able to connect as an MTP device.