Android L and your Samsung Galaxy S5.

Horacio55555

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
]
Okay Ladies and Gentlemen​

I present upon thee, the ultimate question.

Despite copious amounts of research, I have not as of yet come up with any information regarding when and if the Samsung Galaxy S5 will be receiving the controversial new Android L update. Despite reading various blogs about it, there has been no actual confirmation.

So the big question I have for you all, "When will the S5 be receiving said update?"
The other big question I have you all is, "Android L is said to introduce support for x86 systems, just looking at the overview of the S5 which only reads at 2 gb ram I feel simply like this is pointless. How do you think it will actually affect S5 users with that extra support, if at all?"

Post up fella's, cheers :D

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The answer is "no one knows." Probably not even Samsung.

While I'm sure Samsung is working with pre-release software, they really need to wait for Google to release final code. Then they can test that code on the S5, and start modifying that code to include all the S5's special features (or bloat, if you prefer). Then they need to thoroughly test the finished software. Then they can release it to the carriers, who will make their own modifications and add more bloat, and test it themselves.

x86 support has no impact on the S5. It will provide support for future devices built on x86 technology.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
There is little chance that Samsung will not update the S5 to "L". I have never seen a flagship that stops updating at the same version of android that it was released with. Even the S3 got KitKat.

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I have zero doubt the the S5 will update to L. The two question are when and how bad will samsung skin it and ruin the experience.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
It won't have the new soft keys because Samsung has permanent capacitive buttons and the home button. The pull shade will need the TouchWiz quick buttons added to the top. S-voice will be added and the stock messaging, email, calender, dialer, camera, gallery, and music apps will be replaced with Samsung versions. That's pretty much the meat of Samsung customization although I am sure I am missing a few things (my magazine, Samsung app store...)

Posted via Android Central App

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
did anyone receive the auto update from samsung the over the last 2 days? i got the message yesterday and phone updated, not really sure what updated.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
did anyone receive the auto update from samsung the over the last 2 days? i got the message yesterday and phone updated, not really sure what updated.

Yes, I have been ignoring it. It will break your ability to use towelroot while still leaving you on 4.4.2. The changes in the change log are nothing that I care about. I am not even rooted but I don't want to give up the ability to root for no reason.

Posted via Android Central App

DrExK

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
yeah like they say, it's not a question that even Samsung can answer. Android L is still quite far away, but S5 will get it, that's for sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude