So my S5 just starting acting crappy...

Carl_Barr

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Long story short...are any Android devices good for longer than a week? So I've only had the phone for a few weeks and it's already acting very strange. I'll list the things it does below. And I should note that I've never dropped the phone and it's always been charged and unplugged at 100% and basically babied it's entire life within its otterbox.

1.) People can't hear me nor I them in calls. I will have full bars (on ATT in Texas) and the call just stays silent I wont even hear a ring. The only way to fix this is by turning the phone off and back on again.
2.) The phone keeps telling me to start the pedometer. I will go to notifications, swipe it away AND LITERALLY a second later it notifies me again and this will go on as long as I let it until I force stop and shutdown the app. This sucks because I use the heart rate monitor at least 5 times a day so after shutting it down I must restart it to use it.
3.) I will slide up the camera from the lock screen and it will open then shut down and take me to the lock screen. It does this intermittently but it is annoying as sometimes I'd like to take a quick photo of an on coming car or something I see in the near distance.
4.) The camera has no idea what to focus on and even if I tell it what to focus on it just focuses on it for a second, it looks INCREDIBLE, then it unfocuses itself and takes a crappy picture. I'm not talking hardcore macro photos here just simple dishes in the kitchen or passages in a book.
4.) The swipe keyboard throws in the most random words ever. In this department the HTC One M7 was hands down better. I thought the phones system would learn the way I type and the words I use? It seemed to have done this in its first week then decided "screw you I'm tired" and just started behaving terribly.

That is basically it so far. But these little things happen almost every other day now and for the price of the phone I don't think I'm asking for much when by complaining about these things and expecting more... :( I thought I would never rant about this phone but damn it. It happened so soon.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a defective s5. My girlfriends s5 hasn't had a problem and we bought it maybe a week after the phone was at our local store.

Posted via Galaxy Note 3

Carl_Barr

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay. So a defective S5. Sounds reasonable. How do I go about fixing this? Do samsung devices come with warrantee? Also...is it just my luck that every Android device I've owned has been a defective one? I went through like 2 or 3 HTC one's and now this S5. Whats going on here? I AM NOT STARTING A DEBATE HERE....but with the iphones I've owned...it was bought, and replaced with the newer version without even needing to be...simply an "upgrade" with my ATT account. But those things never gave me grief or buyers remorse. I once broke one when I was tipsy but that was my own fault. Even then it functioned through siri.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay. So a defective S5. Sounds reasonable. How do I go about fixing this? Do samsung devices come with warrantee? Also...is it just my luck that every Android device I've owned has been a defective one? I went through like 2 or 3 HTC one's and now this S5. Whats going on here? I AM NOT STARTING A DEBATE HERE....but with the iphones I've owned...it was bought, and replaced with the newer version without even needing to be...simply an "upgrade" with my ATT account. But those things never gave me grief or buyers remorse. I once broke one when I was tipsy but that was my own fault. Even then it functioned through siri.
Also not to start a debate (so Fanboys on either side, please take a deep breath, grip something tightly, and stick something between your teeth) I do want to mention that both sets of devices have about the equal chance of getting defective. It seems you're having issues with Android, but I know several people that are on the other side. Both sides use crappy, cheap Chinese hardware and pump out millions of devices. There are bound to be lemons no matter how strict the Q/A. While certain companies in the Android world are known for being more reliable (I actually think Samsung rates poorly here), none of them are perfect. Neither is Apple.

After a few weeks (depending on where you purchased the device - some places cover purchases for 90 days *cough*Costco*cough*) you will have to call up Samsung's support number. They should send you a replacement device. Depending on the rep you get and Samsung's policy you may have to send it in for repairs. Not sure how Samsung operates.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Before you start a return process, either delete recently installed apps that may be causing issues, or just do a factory reset. Often this will fix the issue.

If you brought it to your carrier, this is the first thing they would recommend anyway.

R

Carl_Barr

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
My list of installed apps is unimpressive.
Myradar
Nova prime
Easy Uninstaller
Drag racing
Candy crush
And maybe enough I'm forgetting to count on one hand but nothing out of the ordinary. If I do a factory reset will everything be erased and if so how do I back it up first? I see backup and restore options in settings. Let me play around with that.

Posted via Android Central App

Carl_Barr

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Also a new thing the phone is doing...it will show that a txt message is sending all day and when the recipient receives the text, they receive it at LEAST 3 times. This has happened for the past 2 days now.

ggarrison 5

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
My list of installed apps is unimpressive.
Myradar
Nova prime
Easy Uninstaller
Drag racing
Candy crush
And maybe enough I'm forgetting to count on one hand but nothing out of the ordinary. If I do a factory reset will everything be erased and if so how do I back it up first? I see backup and restore options in settings. Let me play around with that.

Candy crush for sure, nova sometimes causes issues. I'd definitely do a reset on the phone and do away with candy crush.

Carl_Barr

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
So I got rid of candy crush. clear cache partition? Can you please tell me what this means and how to do it? Also how do I reset this phone and back it up?

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
1. Power off the device
2. Hold down the volume up +home +power button all at once.
3. It should then boot up into recovery mode.
4. Use the volume buttons to navigate to wipe cache.
5. Reboot

Posted via the Android Central App