First Android and it won't lock

Fisherman559

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the S5 after literally months of research and I think it's defective! :/

I setup my finger prints, alternate password, and set lock screen to FP reader. Locked the screen and when I went to unlock it all I had to do was swipe up on the screen. No code or FP required. BUT if I power off and on the phone it will ask for my FP the very first time I unlock the phone but never again.

I would love to think I'm just an Android Newb and I'm missing a setting.

If it matters; This is a 16gb AT&T version bought from Wally World (Walmart)

Also, I've already checked for any system updates.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! On my Nexus 5, there is a setting for screen timeout (under Settings>Display), and a separate setting for when to automatically lock the phone (under Settings>Security). The screen timeout setting only tells the phone how long to wait while idle before turning off the screen. The automatic lock setting tells the phone how long to wait before the phone locks. If those two intervals are different, then you could potentially have the screen time out, then be able to wake the phone again without having to enter the unlock code or pattern. Is there a similar setting on your S5?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2