Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy s5 keeps disconnecting from WiFi?

My galaxy s5 is disconnecting from my wife though I have all the settings for that type of thing off.. It disconnects and reconnects the moment it disconnects... What could be the issue?

Default Re: Galaxy s5 keeps disconnecting from WiFi?

What does the status below the Network name say?

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dre-Sean View Post
    My galaxy s5 is disconnecting from my wife though I have all the settings for that type of thing off.. It disconnects and reconnects the moment it disconnects... What could be the issue?
    Does it happen with every wifi network you attempt to connecT to?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

that im not sure about, im gonna test it today but what could be the reason it's happening to one router and not another one, if thats the issue?

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

that means you are connecting to a faulty access point. Most home routers (from my experience) go bad after a few years of use. That is a sign that you need to replace it. As a test, you can powercycle the router you are connecting to. If it'll let you connect w/o drops then you'll be good for a day or two before you need to reset it again. If it continues to disconnect, i'd test connecting to a public connection to see if you experience the same issue, if you do then the wifi radio in your handset is probably the culprit.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It only does it to my phone though, not my laptop or anything

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

yeah, sounds like the radio on your phone might be bad. Otherwise, I've seen it when certain devices don't like certain routers. Rare, but I've seen it.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I'd hope not or this will be my second time returning a phone. Wish I knew that store I bought it from wasn't corporate cause it seems like all his phones are ****ed up... Big *** sprint sign and it isn't even truly sprint..is there a way to attempt to fix this issue?

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

That, I can't answer for you. Don't give up yet though, test it on another wifi access point and see if you still get the disconnects.

In your settings there's a setting to change it. It disconnects when the wifi is unstable and uses the mobile network for faster speeds.

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts

Or what s_banks said lol

I had the same issue. I had foxfi installed and it was sucking up battery as well. I uninstalled foxfi and restarted the phone. It works fine now.
    Kc7

mine was doing the same thing. In Settings>wifi>advanced, I turned off Smart network switch. It seems to be working so far.
    Thanked by 3:
    ExnoviceLVREARayJr 
    kaicho, SLCZurdo and LVREA like this.

aaah THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH MAAAAN!!!! Auto switch was the problem!
    Thanked by:
    xzr1tv 
    xzr1tv likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kasra_baby View Post
    aaah THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH MAAAAN!!!! Auto switch was the problem!
    This is the exact problem I'm having, it's driving me crazy! I just got a new router thinking that was the problem but same thing is happening. I went to settings->wifi which brings up a list of wifi connections available, is this the right place? I selected my wifi connection bit dont see the smart/advanced setting you're talking about. Can you help??

I'm not seeing the Smart network switch, can you help me with that before I drop this phone down a well?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc7 View Post
    mine was doing the same thing. In Settings>wifi>advanced, I turned off Smart network switch. It seems to be working so far.
    I can't seem to find the Smart network switch, can you help? I went to settings and wifi which shows the list of available wifi connections, then?

Quote Originally Posted by rialinn View Post
    I can't seem to find the Smart network switch, can you help? I went to settings and wifi which shows the list of available wifi connections, then?
    Once you go to wifi, smart switch will be at the top.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy s5 keeps disconnecting from WiFi?-screenshot_2015-02-05-22-02-48.jpg  

We have 3 S5's in my house which were all doing this. I turned off the Smart network switch and they have all stayed on the network solid.

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    I think that particular description is all wonky.

Switching between networks does not make for a stable connection, makes it worse as we have all seen.

Mine has been unchecked since day one.
    It's never actually worked for me. Unless I was doing it wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

You need to tap the 3 dots icon in the top right exposing a menu, tap advanced. Then the smart network checkbox is on the top of the list.

I've had my S5 since last July with no problems cropping up.

Just this week my S5 started acting funky. It kept dropping my wifi connection & immediately reconnected - over & over. A few times the S5 rebooted itself. Yesterday it got hot & ran the battery down quickly probably due to all the wifi dropping & reconnecting. I tried a number of different things before I realized it might be the repeated dropping & reconnecting. That's when I unchecked the Smart Network Switching. It seems to be OK now. Time will tell I suppose.

Does anyone know the best way to notify Samsung about this?

If you have the Galaxy S5, go to Settings, then tap Wi-Fi under Quick Settings. It should be the first setting listed on the Galaxy S5. In the upper right hand corner tap on the three vertical dots. This will bring up "Advanced" as a choice. Tap on advanced and scroll down. You will see a choice that says "Smart Network Switch." UNCHECK IT. This will prevent the phone from going back and forth between a Wi-Fi connection and a 3G or 4G connection. I had the exact same problem and I knew the signal from my router was just fine because I had a strong signal throughout the house with my notebook computer and my other wireless devices.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

My Galaxy 5 Active has been stable until this latest update this past week and then my wifi went wonky.
    It would connect and then disconnect after a minute this causing other issues while surfing.
    I turned off the smart Network Switch and so far it is staying connected.
    I guess the only question is once I go out of range of the wifi will it switch back to cellular data, and vise versa when I arrive back in wifi range, or will I have to manually change from wifi to phone?

I also noticed from this update that my phone has slowed down, and the battery is only lasting 7 hours instead of 15 hours.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast