Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Yes, power saving off. About 3 hours of the screen time was reading a book using the Google book app @ night with brightness turned down.

Also Bluetooth off.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by sctbc2; 08-05-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Default Re: Galaxy s5 Battery Drain

Try keeping the wifi off when u are not using it, the screen to low brightness and the time out for the screen on its minimum.
    The main source of battery drain is the screen it self I believe ^

Quote Originally Posted by sctbc2 View Post
    Yes, power saving off. About 3 hours of the screen time was reading a book using the Google book app @ night with brightness turned down.

Also Bluetooth off.

You are probably the only one here has that high of a screen time on this forum without using power saving mode

Galaxy s5 Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-06-00-07-39.jpgGalaxy s5 Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-06-00-07-46.jpgGalaxy s5 Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-06-00-07-52.jpg

Posted via my Galaxy S5

^That's with power saving mode turned off, location set to power saving, I've got all the apps I don't use turned off, auto brightness on, location reporting off, sync off, etc.

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Try CPU Spy to check if your phone ever goes into Deep Sleep most of the time and if not then something must be keeping the CPU running in the background.....

20 hours! Wow, I'm lucky to get 6 hours. When I first bought it, I got a whole day, woopie, not I'm lucky to make it lunch before I have to plug in my external battery pack which only charges it to 20%. I am sooooo disappointed in this phone.

I don't use TW. I've been using nova prime for quite a while.

I don't have any hard evidence, but it seems to me that Nova Prime is less of an energy hog than TW.

I also had rooted my phone with Towel Root, but the last small OTA update unrooted the phone. I decided to do a factory wipe and reinstalled the most recent stock firmware using Odin.

The battery life improved significantly after that.

I had the same experience with my note 3. With jelly bean, the note had ridiculous battery life. That changed after the KK update. I rooted the note 3, then unrooted it using the same method (Odin, most recent firmware) which brought back the stellar battery life.

This is just my personal experience, no hard scientific evidence/testing...

Well if you don't have power saving mode on what do you think will happen?

With power saving off:
    I'll enable power saving during the next go round... See what happens.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy s5 Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-16-14-42-17.jpg   Galaxy s5 Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-16-14-42-25.jpg   Galaxy s5 Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-16-14-42-33.jpg  

With power saving off:
    I'll enable power saving during the next go round... See what happens.

5 hours of screen time out of one day is consider good. I suggest turning off your wifi and mobile data while the phone is sleeping. Looks like your wifi is running 100%.

Turning off wifi and data has a negligible effect on battery life. In fact it can be the opposite effect if you keep turning it on and off.

I don't think he needs to do much at all really seeing as hes constantly getting over 1 day of uptime and 5+ hours of screentime!

It will be interesting to see if using power saving mode makes much difference to his phone, i bet it doesn't !

Rooting seems to help massively from what i have seen. Or its simply a case of doing a factory reset to recalibrate the phone to the battery.

I just joined this forum for this problem, and thought I would chime in. I used to get several days out of my Samsung Galaxy S5 battery because it's basically just turned on to receive calls and texts, but I rarely use it for anything else so screen time is less than 4%. I have had the phone for less than 4 months. Less than a week ago, the phone beeped because it was going dead, which was odd because normally it would have had over 50% charge remaining. Now, I cannot even go 20 hours with it just sitting on the counter unused, and it is warm to the touch. This is what is found under "Battery":

Cell standby: 16%
    Android System: 16%
    Android OS: 12%
    Google Services: 11%
    Device Idle: 10%
    Wifi: 10%
    Voice calls: 7%
    Lookout: 5%
    Screen: 4%

Something has clearly changed with this phone, and I don't know what. I have tried restarting the phone, turning it off for a while, then re-booting, all to no avail. I am using almost 10% an hour at times without even using the phone. It is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobfish_Love View Post
    I just joined this forum for this problem, and thought I would chime in. I used to get several days out of my Samsung Galaxy S5 battery because it's basically just turned on to receive calls and texts, but I rarely use it for anything else so screen time is less than 4%. I have had the phone for less than 4 months. Less than a week ago, the phone beeped because it was going dead, which was odd because normally it would have had over 50% charge remaining. Now, I cannot even go 20 hours with it just sitting on the counter unused, and it is warm to the touch. This is what is found under "Battery":

Cell standby: 16%
    Android System: 16%
    Android OS: 12%
    Google Services: 11%
    Device Idle: 10%
    Wifi: 10%
    Voice calls: 7%
    Lookout: 5%
    Screen: 4%

Something has clearly changed with this phone, and I don't know what. I have tried restarting the phone, turning it off for a while, then re-booting, all to no avail. I am using almost 10% an hour at times without even using the phone. It is a joke.
    You should post up the actually data pictures so we can see the graph. But I suspect something is awake. Turn off sync and turn off wifi and mobile data. Clear cache. Go to app manager and see what is running and turn off what is not needed.

This time had power saving on :

31 hours, just over 4 hours screen time, 4% battery left.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy s5 Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-21-17-25-45.jpg   Galaxy s5 Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-21-17-26-05.jpg   Galaxy s5 Battery Drain-screenshot_2014-08-21-17-25-51.jpg  

This time had power saving on :

31 hours, just over 4 hours screen time, 4% battery left.

That's not good at all with power save mode. Try turning off wifi and mobile data when the phone is asleep and see what happens. clear cache and turn off/force stop apps in application manager..

The problem is DCMprovider, it's suck 40% of the battery , how can i stop it ?

Thanks

Inviato dal mio Galaxy S5 con Tapatalk

I agree, I don't think power saving actually slows down battery drain.

2 previous posts of mine in this thread, with power saving off :
    22.5 hours, 7.5 hours screen time, 13% battery left.

26 hours, 5 hours screen time, 2% battery left.

And that steep drop off in my last battery history screen shot is due to Netflix, which I imagine uses a lot of energy.

If i freeze DCMprovider the phone doesn't start in the OS… how can i do ?

Inviato dal mio Galaxy S5 con Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    You should post up the actually data pictures so we can see the graph. But I suspect something is awake. Turn off sync and turn off wifi and mobile data. Clear cache. Go to app manager and see what is running and turn off what is not needed.
    I would if I knew how to post those. I have no idea.

I agree, I don't think power saving actually slows down battery drain.

2 previous posts of mine in this thread, with power saving off :
    22.5 hours, 7.5 hours screen time, 13% battery left.

26 hours, 5 hours screen time, 2% battery left.

Yep i knew it, PSM is inconsistent to say the least you got better results with your particular setup and usage without it! Personally i get better results with it on. I guess it depends on your usage and what apps you use as well.

Hopefully all these battery issues will go away with 4.4.4, who knows.

Normally the battery drainage problems are produced by some system or application process which prevents the Phone into deep sleep Mode. The most common process that produces these problems it is called gpsd. But there are many other...

Enviado desde mi SM-G900H mediante Tapatalk
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123