Galaxy s5 Battery Drain

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
With power saving off:
I'll enable power saving during the next go round... See what happens.

Posted via Android Central App

5 hours of screen time out of one day is consider good. I suggest turning off your wifi and mobile data while the phone is sleeping. Looks like your wifi is running 100%.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Turning off wifi and data has a negligible effect on battery life. In fact it can be the opposite effect if you keep turning it on and off.

I don't think he needs to do much at all really seeing as hes constantly getting over 1 day of uptime and 5+ hours of screentime!

It will be interesting to see if using power saving mode makes much difference to his phone, i bet it doesn't !

Rooting seems to help massively from what i have seen. Or its simply a case of doing a factory reset to recalibrate the phone to the battery.

Blobfish_Love

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I just joined this forum for this problem, and thought I would chime in. I used to get several days out of my Samsung Galaxy S5 battery because it's basically just turned on to receive calls and texts, but I rarely use it for anything else so screen time is less than 4%. I have had the phone for less than 4 months. Less than a week ago, the phone beeped because it was going dead, which was odd because normally it would have had over 50% charge remaining. Now, I cannot even go 20 hours with it just sitting on the counter unused, and it is warm to the touch. This is what is found under "Battery":

Cell standby: 16%
Android System: 16%
Android OS: 12%
Google Services: 11%
Device Idle: 10%
Wifi: 10%
Voice calls: 7%
Lookout: 5%
Screen: 4%

Something has clearly changed with this phone, and I don't know what. I have tried restarting the phone, turning it off for a while, then re-booting, all to no avail. I am using almost 10% an hour at times without even using the phone. It is a joke.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I just joined this forum for this problem, and thought I would chime in. I used to get several days out of my Samsung Galaxy S5 battery because it's basically just turned on to receive calls and texts, but I rarely use it for anything else so screen time is less than 4%. I have had the phone for less than 4 months. Less than a week ago, the phone beeped because it was going dead, which was odd because normally it would have had over 50% charge remaining. Now, I cannot even go 20 hours with it just sitting on the counter unused, and it is warm to the touch. This is what is found under "Battery":

Cell standby: 16%
Android System: 16%
Android OS: 12%
Google Services: 11%
Device Idle: 10%
Wifi: 10%
Voice calls: 7%
Lookout: 5%
Screen: 4%

Something has clearly changed with this phone, and I don't know what. I have tried restarting the phone, turning it off for a while, then re-booting, all to no avail. I am using almost 10% an hour at times without even using the phone. It is a joke.

You should post up the actually data pictures so we can see the graph. But I suspect something is awake. Turn off sync and turn off wifi and mobile data. Clear cache. Go to app manager and see what is running and turn off what is not needed.

sctbc2

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
This time had power saving on :

31 hours, just over 4 hours screen time, 4% battery left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-25-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-25-45.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-26-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-26-05.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-25-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-25-51.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 35

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
This time had power saving on :

31 hours, just over 4 hours screen time, 4% battery left.

That's not good at all with power save mode. Try turning off wifi and mobile data when the phone is asleep and see what happens. clear cache and turn off/force stop apps in application manager..

sctbc2

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I agree, I don't think power saving actually slows down battery drain.

2 previous posts of mine in this thread, with power saving off :
22.5 hours, 7.5 hours screen time, 13% battery left.

26 hours, 5 hours screen time, 2% battery left.

sctbc2

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
And that steep drop off in my last battery history screen shot is due to Netflix, which I imagine uses a lot of energy.

Blobfish_Love

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You should post up the actually data pictures so we can see the graph. But I suspect something is awake. Turn off sync and turn off wifi and mobile data. Clear cache. Go to app manager and see what is running and turn off what is not needed.

I would if I knew how to post those. I have no idea.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I agree, I don't think power saving actually slows down battery drain.

2 previous posts of mine in this thread, with power saving off :
22.5 hours, 7.5 hours screen time, 13% battery left.

26 hours, 5 hours screen time, 2% battery left.

Yep i knew it, PSM is inconsistent to say the least you got better results with your particular setup and usage without it! Personally i get better results with it on. I guess it depends on your usage and what apps you use as well.

Hopefully all these battery issues will go away with 4.4.4, who knows.

Maximun

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Normally the battery drainage problems are produced by some system or application process which prevents the Phone into deep sleep Mode. The most common process that produces these problems it is called gpsd. But there are many other...

Enviado desde mi SM-G900H mediante Tapatalk

GealB

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
To be honest this is simply design flaw, nothing else. I hang around with 4 guys. 3 of us bought Galaxy 5’s from some dude who supplies electronic devices. And all of us complain about the same thing - battery does not last an hour on full charge, alternatively, I plug the device to my Mac at 60% the thing drains down to zero and automatically switches off and start charging again. Original Samsung battery!! Bought a new battery, same story. It is the worst mobile device experience I’ve ever had to face. The phone stays on charge the entire office hours and only lasts and hour.

It sounds like a joke but I sunk my R6000 on this device 3 weeks ago.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
So..ive read all the posts regarding battery drain.. i researched a lot.. i closed all the sync data and restricted background data.. brightness is at around 25%..and im comfortable with the brightness..now im uploading the battery usage stats to see if any expert can explain the issues here...i mean im aiming for a day and a half .. its giving me around 20 hours..
View attachment 130388
View attachment 130389
View attachment 130390
View attachment 130391
View attachment 130405
View attachment 130401
View attachment 130402
View attachment 130403
View attachment 130403
View attachment 130404

Delete battery apps and task managers. Also don't close old apps in the background. That will help.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
To be honest this is simply design flaw, nothing else. I hang around with 4 guys. 3 of us bought Galaxy 5’s from some dude who supplies electronic devices. And all of us complain about the same thing - battery does not last an hour on full charge, alternatively, I plug the device to my Mac at 60% the thing drains down to zero and automatically switches off and start charging again. Original Samsung battery!! Bought a new battery, same story. It is the worst mobile device experience I’ve ever had to face. The phone stays on charge the entire office hours and only lasts and hour.

It sounds like a joke but I sunk my R6000 on this device 3 weeks ago.

Only an hour??? lol something seriously wrong there. Oh wait "bought from some dude who supplies eletrical devices" yup that'll be why then lol.

HFL

May 6, 2014
Visit site
1.lower ure screen brightness
2.put on battery saving mode
3. install Task Manager cuz one of samsung is basic.

morenoa48

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I've searched all over and it seems there are plenty of people having battery drain issues but have yet to find the exact cause and solution. In my case, my phone worked perfectly for about 3 months, then the battery started to drain dramatically with no change as far as use or applications installed. Losing about 5% to 10% an hour just sitting idle. A restart will temporarily fix the issue for about a day (lately a few hours). I have done factory reset, pulled battery, drained completely and recharged. Nothing has worked. This has been ongoing for about two weeks. Since most of these discussions just seem to abruptly end without stating any solution (fix, returning phone or switching to iPhone), maybe the problem goes away by itself...?
By the way...disabling wifi, data, lowering brightness, changing launcher, and even power saving mode (regular not ultra) did not help.
-Galaxy S5 Sprint 4..4.2 Stock