Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S5 custom message notification tone problems

Hey all,
    I just got an S5 and so far I love the phone. The only issue I have now is setting up a custom message notification from a couple of contacts. I've gone thru all the steps to import the tone I want to use for these contacts but when I receive a message from them, the standard tone comes thru.
    I'm using Verizon messaging currently.
    I'm at my wits end because I get notifications from my work about available shifts and I need to know when these come thru.
    Thanks!
    Doug

Default Re: S5 custom message notification tone problems

you could use an alternative sms app, something like textra or chomp sms has the ability to choose custom notification tones etc for each contact. both apps are similar, it depends on what you prefer. textra is meant to be more modern, but chomp has plenty of options for the layout.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it was an easy change so some setting on the phone but I may just switch to textra or chomp. Both seem to have great reviews.

Does anyone know if chomp or textra will work with both my S5 and my android tablet? I'd like the messaging to be interchangeable between the two...

Thanks!
    Doug

I have a custom tone for a couple of my contacts. All I did was in that contact, I edited the contacts details and selected a different notification and ring tone for them, then saved the choice.

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

After more research, I was able to figure this out by dumb luck.

All of the info I had found for changing tones dealt with the contact details. While I did that, it still wasn't working.

Then last night, I was texting back and forth with my wife when I noticed three small lines next to her name at the top of the screen. I opened that up and scrolled down to find a 'Tones' listing. I changed the tone to one I wanted and Presto! It worked!

I was also able to use Verizon Messaging to synch between my S5 and my tablet. Now I'm happy!

Thanks!
    Doug