Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By atishc
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 50gb Dropbox Storage Promotion on Galaxy S5

I have just got my galaxy s5 and I thought there was supposed to be 50GB of free dropbox storage for 2 years ? Well I have looked at my dropbox account and it looks like it hasn't been applied . So how do I check and apply please.

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts

Default re: 50gb Dropbox Storage Promotion on Galaxy S5

You had Dropbox account before?

Posted via Android Central App

Unfortunately i think you only get 50Gb if you create a new Dropbox account. I got 48Gb when I bought my S3, 2 years ago but when I went through the setup of the S5 I just logged in. As a test I uninstalled and re-installed Dropbox and created a new account and got another 50Gb free for two years.

I got whatever GB was offered from hTc, Samsung, etc. They all expired now but at one point at had almost 200GB in my Dropbox account.

Pro S5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Didn't get it on mine, had it previously on my S3 so it refused to load on S5. Will probably end up signing up a new account, claim the space on that, then move everything over to the new account.

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    I got whatever GB was offered from hTc, Samsung, etc. They all expired now but at one point at had almost 200GB in my Dropbox account.

Pro S5
    Will you give up the G3?

Quote Originally Posted by bbmjack View Post
    Will you give up the G3?

I'm trying to find a way to keep both. I'm thinking of selling my iPad mini since I have the Air LTE.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts

Also you have Xbox 360 and one and ps4 and ps3

As the offers all expire its pretty pointless anyway, if you have used up the space you then have to find somewhere else to put the data or you lose it.

I didn't need to set up a new Dropbox account. I already had one, used it with my computer and Nook. I even closed the pop up that told me about the 50gb free when I first opened the app on my s5. Later, I decided I wanted the storage and signed into my account on my s5 and the 50gb was automatically there, along with all the stuff that I already had stored there. I actually have 51.75 gb because I think they added the 50 to the free account I already had. My sd card is not big enough so for now I plan on mostly using the space to move photos and videos to when I'm away from my computer to free up space on the card (until I get a bigger card).

Same here. I already had an existing Dropbox account and I got the upgrade as well without setting up a new account.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

lol...I am in the same kinda boat. I lose my last 48 GB in about a month. I hope to get the bonus with the Note 4 when I get it so I do not have to pay up....

Default Re: 50gb Dropbox Storage Promotion on Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by bIOforger View Post
    As the offers all expire its pretty pointless anyway, if you have used up the space you then have to find somewhere else to put the data or you lose it.
    Right, so I never really cared. There are too many other places to get space for free.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Butt1 View Post
    I have just got my galaxy s5 and I thought there was supposed to be 50GB of free dropbox storage for 2 years ? Well I have looked at my dropbox account and it looks like it hasn't been applied . So how do I check and apply please.
    Maybe it takes Dropbox a few days to apply the update. I got mine automatically. So in your place I would either wait a couple more days or go the place where I got the S5 and have them fix it.

If you however want a free 50GB cloud-account that does NOT expire, and is also WAY more secure than Dropbox then I recommend you register with Mega (free app here). Your data are encrypted on your device before they are uploaded and while they are stored in your Mega cloud, so nobody, not even Mega or the Feds, can access them. But you can access your Mega account anytime through any web browser on any internet connected device.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNexus View Post
    lol...I am in the same kinda boat. I lose my last 48 GB in about a month. I hope to get the bonus with the Note 4 when I get it so I do not have to pay up....
    I spoke with Dropbox support and they only let you apply the 50 GB once to the same account. If you want it again, you have to create a new account as these others did.

Tomcat31b likes this.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

well that must be new then. I had about 150GB from them, the last 48 is expiring. Either way, it is an indispensable app for me so I would buy it gladly. Especially since I have been living off them for free for a few years