Kies 3, .sme file, How to view

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi;
I have back ups of my phone using Kies 3.
They are in a .sme format.
I do not want to reinstall this message file to my phone but want to read some of the information in it.
Is there a way to just view the file on my computer? It does not appear as Kies has a function for this.

Thank you.

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
It appears you can read the file in Kies. Have you tried a mouse contextual menu option to read or "open" in Kies?

SME is a proprietary binary format used by Samsung Kies to save archives of short text (SMS) messages and memos to .sme files on a computer. Messages from an .sme archive can be viewed in Samsung Kies, as well as imported back into a Samsung mobile device supported by the Kies application.

srfoot

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your answer but I am looking at kies and under preferences one can set the back up folder but I do not find any function to allow me to read any of the files.

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm just spit balling here but can you find the .sme file you wish to read [through your computer's directory] and right mouse click the file and choose "open with" Kies? That's what I was trying to suggest in my post.

Good luck, that's all I can offer....

Raxus71

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I am a new "Kies" user and have am happy with the ability to backup my Samsung S4 but I too can't get any of the SME files to open for viewing/printing.
I have done the locate on my PC and right click the mouse. I've tried to use MS Word but to no avail. It doesn't offer a "KIES" option.............
While in the "KIES" program I can only continue to backup but can't seem to find a way to view.
Help Please!

1chance1

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem. The digitizer pad is out on my S3. I was able to create a messages.sme file from my phone on to my laptop. but I have no way of opening it. I tried FileVeiwer Pro. It is just a fake to put a virus on your computer.