What's the best thing to use to hear music from my phone in my almost 10 year old SUV?

Bayarea13

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I currently use a cassette adapter however it's starting to deteriorate and I'd like something better than a cassette adapter cause I heard the music quality isn't as good with cassette adapters. Also I prefer something that is small so I can put it somewhere hidden when I leave my car cause I work at a place where car break ins are frequent.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The best option is to buy a new deck with an Auxiliary port and buy an Auxiliary cord. That will give you the best sound quality. Since you're "too lazy" to do that, just buy another cassette adapter. I'd rather use that than an FM transmitter.

dgcorn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a 10 year old SUV and I have a Jabra Cruiser II which I use to listen to podcasts. It can play music, but the sound quality isn't very good. It also has an FM transmitter, but again the sound quality isn't very good. If I want music in the car, I listen to the radio or CDs.

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
m000035931_sc7

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Invest in a high end FM Trasmitter. Don't go cheap. The cheap ones often have a fairly weak signal so you'll get interference from surrounding wireless devices.
I haven't used an FM Transmitter in years, but back when I used to use them, the best I'd ever come across was by GoGroove, I believe I had the X2 model. It was great and didn't break the bank, though if you have a larger budget you can get more options and more reliability. But the X2 should be fine - assuming they still make it.

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
PREFACE: The below is just my analysis of the situation for informational purposes only. If you choose to act on any of this information, that's your own choice, if you damage something you and only you are responsible. :)

I've used cassette adapters and many different FM transmitters, and I have been unhappy every time I've used them for one reason or another. I would check IF the factory radio on your SUV can be pulled out (to look at the back). IF you could get it out and IF it has a left/right auxiliary audio input (red and white RCA jacks), then you may be able to get a cable like this: ipod-rca.jpg

and MAY be able to run it through a gap behind the radio and out through the floor area near the passenger's feet, or some other opening within the cabin (you'd want one that's at least 6 feet, maybe even 8 depending on how much slack you want). Only problem with this solution (not really a big deal to me) is that you have a long cable that's always hanging out in the car; it would appear to be sticking out from some "mysterious place" behind the dashboard, and you depending on the total cable length you'd have about 3 or 4 feet of slack within the cabin area. There's basically no way to hide it, except to bundle it up, rubber band it, and stuff it somewhere out of site. If the cable gets damaged or cut, or the plug starts to cut out, you'd need to buy another one and pull the radio out again to install. Pulling the radio usually is not too big a deal, you just may need a certain tool for your make of car.

All factory radios are different, some will take the audio coming through this cable from an "AUX"-type input setting that you manually switch to with a button on the radio, some will just play the audio right on top of the radio (so you have to turn the radio volume all the way down), and some won't take it at all. It's also very YMMV as far as whether you could get the cable through, and where. I personally would not run it out by the driver's feet, for safety reasons.

Besides this, the only other solution I would suggest is getting a third-party receiver/radio, which come with all the inputs you could ever need.

I did the former (cable through the back) on an old beat-up Explorer of ours, and it worked just fine for daily use (had to split the jacks in the back, couple extra parts I already had). I mean, considering it was REALLY abused by the former owners (off-roaders) and the speakers were just crap, plus it had some cheap aftermarket radio that THEY had installed, this really did work quite well, and I wouldn't have wanted to put any more money or work into that vehicle.. For me this was a perfect solution.

I did the latter (radio replacement) on my Crown Victoria, and it is of course much nicer, the audio quality is significantly better and there lots of EQ setting to choose from. You can get one with bluetooth as well so you never have to plug or unplug, and can use the buttons on the receiver to change tracks and stuff. Of course, my radio+fit kit+radio harness for the Crown Vic cost about $120, and the auxiliary cable for the Explorer cost $4.

If break-ins are a concern, then a loose cable hanging out might not be preferable, as a would-be thief might think it leads to something good. Just because it's a 4 dollar non-removable cord will not necessarily keep someone from breaking in in the first place, they just would just not be able to take it once they get in, and I guess would then find something else of value in the car. However, I feel like an aftermarket radio might attract a burglar even more, as it might imply the car belongs to a younger person, and may have items of interest. Then again I'm not a thief so I don't know how they think. If you happen to park in some type of covered parking garage where it's dark then I think a solid black cable sticking out from behind the dash may be practically impossible to see.

Good luck! :)

Adele White

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Forget about the cassette adapter, lets try something more easy connection by bluetooth Speaker/ amplifier. Good Music deserved high quality speaker.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Invest in a high end FM Trasmitter. Don't go cheap. The cheap ones often have a fairly weak signal so you'll get interference from surrounding wireless devices.
I haven't used an FM Transmitter in years, but back when I used to use them, the best I'd ever come across was by GoGroove, I believe I had the X2 model. It was great and didn't break the bank, though if you have a larger budget you can get more options and more reliability. But the X2 should be fine - assuming they still make it.

I have a GoGroove and it's not very good. It's cheap quality with power connector that can damage your car's socket. Sound quality is not good, very tinny with poor bass, and you have to crank up the volume to use it.

I'd like a bluetooth device that I can wire to my stereo's auxilary port. I'm not an audiophile and I like the big buttons on my stock radio as I wear gloves in the winter.