Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unread Count On Hangouts

Hey everyone,

My mother has the Galaxy S5. She was using the built-in text messaging app and switched to Hangouts for SMS. The feature she's missing though is that on the old messaging app it used to give her the unread count on the icon, but it's not doing it with Hangouts (she's using the stock launcher that came with the phone). It does for other apps like Words with Friends though, so I imagine it should work for Hangouts too. She lives a few hours away and I don't have a galaxy, so it's hard for me to troubleshoot. Is there a way to get the unread count on Hangouts as well?

Thanks

Global Posts
    9,452 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Re: Unread Count On Hangouts

It doesn't show for me either. AFAIK, it's not possible. If it's a crucial feature for her, and she doesn't like the stock app there are still other third party apps that offer that feature.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The only one I can find is Tesla Unread for the Nova Launcher. But she doesn't want to switch Launchers (she fears change). Know of any that can work with the stock galaxy launcher?

**EDIT** Hmmm...Looks like Notifyer+ might do it.

Global Posts
    9,452 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Huh. Didn't even notice that the Tesla plugin had an option to show them for Hangouts. My bad
    Let me know if Notifyer + does work for her.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Notifyer worked. There's a free version also which works too.

Global Posts
    9,452 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post
    Notifyer worked. There's a free version also which works too.
    Awesome. Glad it worked