S5 Native Email Crashes when using SSL and port 993...

SamGalaxyFan

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone else having this problem? I'm trying to set up my work IMAP email with the native Email app on my new S5. When it tries to verify the incoming server settings, the app crashes and I get the "Unfortunately, Email has stopped." error.

If the port or the server name are wrong, it tells me they are wrong. But when it's all right, this happens. I tried factory resetting the phone and starting over, but the problem persisted.

I brought the phone back to the retailer and showed them. The Samsung store guy in Best Buy tried an update and the problem continued. So, they switched out the phone. Sure enough, the same thing happened on the second S5.

I have no problem getting the account to work with Aqua Mail. And, using the exact same settings, I can get my old S3's native Email app to work just fine.

I don't want to post the server info, but I will say that my work's imap incoming server name is not the standard imap.companyname.com format. Instead, it's beehive.companyname.com. It uses SSL security and port 993. The crash happens whether I choose the "SSL" or the "SSL (accept all certificates)" options.

Since it's happening on both S5's I'm thinking this is an app bug problem. Anyone else run into this?

SamGalaxyFan

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Haven't checked with work IT yet, but they're not always very helpful. The rest of the company is made up of Apple Lemmings so they tend to leave my as the lone Android guy out on his own.

But in this case, I can configure my old S3 just fine. And, using Aqua mail, I can configure the S5. I think it's a Samsung native email problem but I was wondering if anyone else ran into it.

Even if the configuration was wrong, wouldn't it warn me rather than crash?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, if you can get it working with Aquamail, why on earth would you want to use the native app on the S5? Aquamail is far superior to the S5 email app. Way more settings and works much better IMO. I used the native app on my S4 for a couple weeks when I first got it and then gave Aquamail a try and have never looked back. I could never get IMAP to push on the native S4 app and I assume the S5 app isn't much different.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech