A few question about my new S5 from a die hard Apple guy......

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Switched over to a GS5 from an iPhone 5s a few weeks ago. I have been annoyed with Apple for quite some time. Thought it was time to give Android a try. I have been reading, researching, and watching videos, trying to avoid starting a new thread asking dumb questions. I have to though, sorry.......

1. Why is it that when I save photos from Google images to my photos, I can not send them via text message? I tried sending them to my wife's iPhone 5, but it wouldn't let me. I then sent them in an email and she could not view them? Never had that problem on my iPhone.

2. I tried using NILS for lock screen notifications, sort of like my iPhone, but it was too annoying with all of the alerts having to choose this and that. I thought they would be satisfied and go away after a few days of answering them, but no luck. I then tried another app, SwipeLock or something like that. It was EXTREMELY buggy. Is there no easy way to see what emails I get, messenger alerts, or game alerts without unlocking my phone? I figured out how to see texting alerts, though it is pretty crappy the way you can't read more than the first 5 words.

3. Volume. Is there any way to get it to stop alerting me that listening to loud music will hurt my ears when I try to turn the volume up? I have the safe listening turned off (or what ever it is called). SUPER annoying.

4. I used Samsung Smart Switch to transfer everything over from my iPhone, which worked great except for my "Notes". They are no where to be found. Any way to transfer them over without doing it by hand?

Overall I like the phone, but it is buggy and laggy. I'm not going to sugar coat it at all, sorry. I really like the larger screen and the better battery life. I was hoping for more battery life though after hearing everyone's raves about it. I am getting about 10 hours on average, with heavy use. I usually got about 6 out of my iPhone. Pathetic. I have tried everything suggested on forums and YouTube to try and get better battery life out of the GS5.

Any help would be fantastic.

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't have that problem with Google images. The volume thing is definitely annoying. I never used nicl but I'll try it out to let you know. I don't experience much lag at all... I just switched from an iPhone 5 and I definitely miss some features from it for sure.

Posted via Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but can answer about number 2, and maybe about better battery life.

For number 2 go to the Play Store and download the free version of C Locker, it will do what you want and tons of other great lockscreen features and options, if you ended up loving it the same way than me, then you can pay for the full version and it will give you even more options. The most important one is that combining the app with the S5 fingerprint or any other security option it still allow you to see and manage your notifications without unlocking the phone.

Look for a post I did a couple of days ago and you can see some screenshots of it, if you go back to one of my end of May posts you will find a thread I started about it and if you back even farther I started another one with tips and tricks to get a lot better battery life.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I just tried C Locker, and it behaves just as the others, at least to me. It seems very buggy. When I wake up the phone, I get a glimpse of my "stock" lock screen before it switches to the C Locker screen, which is the same background as my home screen. Odd. I also notice that when I lock my phone, which makes the water drop sound, sometimes it will make a 2nd water drop sound a few seconds after I lock the screen. As if it is still doing something. Is this normal?

Sorry but can answer about number 2, and maybe about better battery life.

For number 2 go to the Play Store and download the free version of C Locker, it will do what you want and tons of other great lockscreen features and options, if you ended up loving it the same way than me, then you can pay for the full version and it will give you even more options. The most important one is that combining the app with the S5 fingerprint or any other security option it still allow you to see and manage your notifications without unlocking the phone.

Look for a post I did a couple of days ago and you can see some screenshots of it, if you go back to one of my end of May posts you will find a thread I started about it and if you back even farther I started another one with tips and tricks to get a lot better battery life.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I just tried C Locker, and it behaves just as the others, at least to me. It seems very buggy. When I wake up the phone, I get a glimpse of my "stock" lock screen before it switches to the C Locker screen, which is the same background as my home screen. Odd. I also notice that when I lock my phone, which makes the water drop sound, sometimes it will make a 2nd water drop sound a few seconds after I lock the screen. As if it is still doing something. Is this normal?

No my friend, it won't do anything of that but just have to dedicate some good time customizing it as it has basically couple of dozens of options, you'll need to go basically one by one turning on and off and adjusting it to your taste, but believe me, you dedicate some of your time now but it's really a one time thing.

Just a couple of hints, first go to setting, security and Go to Turnoff Default screen option and set it to none, it will force to just use C Locker for the Lockscreen stuff, then in the security settings activate Enable PIN unlock and fingerprint (if you want to use security) and be sure Activate Device Administration is selected, this is what controls the app and your phone.

Here are some screenshots of my settings so you can try them and have that as your base and go from there. I don't know how many of these options are exclusive to the full version but try and see.

Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-55-44.png Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-56-03.png Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-56-06.png Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-56-28.png Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-56-43.png Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-56-49.png Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-57-00.png Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-58-33.png Screenshot_2014-08-06-19-59-53.png Screenshot_2014-08-06-20-00-06.png

Last edited:

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
That's another app I tried that acted funky. I'm sure I just need to spend more time messing with the settings. Just not use to having to do so.

I use pattern unlock and that's it. I have no issues. One tip I can give you is go into application settings and turn off all of the stuff (bloat from Samsung & your carrier) you don't or won't use. And Use drop down shade fron the home screen to turn on and off Bluetooth and GPS only when you need it to save battery. Can't help you with the photos but sometimes you have to save to the phone before sharing. Hope this works.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That's another app I tried that acted funky. I'm sure I just need to spend more time messing with the settings. Just not use to having to do so.

Welcome to the forums. Aside from the question you posted, how are you liking Android so far?

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Aside from the question you posted, how are you liking Android so far?

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

I'm going to be completely honest, I hate it. I can't wait to go back to an iPhone. But I am giving it an honest try. Its been 3 weeks. Ask me again in a couple of months. I just find myself trying to turn this phone into an iPhone. The settings are what is getting me I guess. Having to change too many things in too many different places. I can't find the settings people are suggesting. It seems my phone isn't the same as others. Stuff isn't where they say it is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be completely honest, I hate it.

Fair enough. Something that I have seen with iPhone/iOS users is there rarely is a middle-ground when it comes to switching. It is either they love it, or they hate it. I applaud you for giving it an honest try though.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Fair enough. Something that I have seen with iPhone/iOS users is there rarely is a middle-ground when it comes to switching. It is either they love it, or they hate it. I applaud you for giving it an honest try though.

I received the phone through Samsung's Insight Program. I have to use it for at least 6 months, so I am going to give it an honest try. I am truly hoping I WILL get the hang of it and NOT go back to an Apple. At this point though, I REALLY miss my jailbroken iPhone. It seemed to be much easier to manage and work better. The learning curve is huge, I just have to get over the hump. Finding apps that I like is extremely frustrating. The phone just won't do what I want it to.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I received the phone through Samsung's Insight Program. I have to use it for at least 6 months, so I am going to give it an honest try. I am truly hoping I WILL get the hang of it and NOT go back to an Apple. At this point though, I REALLY miss my jailbroken iPhone. It seemed to be much easier to manage and work better. The learning curve is huge, I just have to get over the hump. Finding apps that I like is extremely frustrating. The phone just won't do what I want it to.

Not sure if you saw this, or if it will even help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/399060-guide-getting-started-android-2014-a.html

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
No my friend, it won't do anything of that but just have to dedicate some good time customizing it as it has basically couple of dozens of options, you'll need to go basically one by one turning on and off and adjusting it to your taste, but believe me, you dedicate some of your time now but it's really a one time thing.

Just a couple of hints, first go to setting, security and Go to Turnoff Default screen option and set it to none, it will force to just use C Locker for the Lockscreen stuff, then in the security settings activate Enable PIN unlock and fingerprint (if you want to use security) and be sure Activate Device Administration is selected, this is what controls the app and your phone.

Here are some screenshots of my settings so you can try them and have that as your base and go from there. I don't know how many of these options are exclusive to the full version but try and see.

OK, I purchased the "Pro" and played with it for a few hours. Not bad. The only thing I don't like so far is sometimes when I lock the phone, it takes 2,3,4 or up to 10 seconds for it to play the lock sound. I can't find a setting for it. Not sure why it's so random.Thoughts?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
OK, I purchased the "Pro" and played with it for a few hours. Not bad. The only thing I don't like so far is sometimes when I lock the phone, it takes 2,3,4 or up to 10 seconds for it to play the lock sound. I can't find a setting for it. Not sure why it's so random.Thoughts?

I don't like the lock sounds so I have that off in the settings, but if you are experiencing that, contact the creator, you have the option in the app settings, and doing that it will create and send all the logs and files he needs to assist, and believe me he does, just give him some time to reply back as I think he is from China or other Asia countries.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been messing with downloading pictures all night and can't for the life of me figure out why I keep getting this error when I try to send a downloaded image from the internet via text messade:

Unsupported media type.
Select different media.

So what it is telling me is that I can't download pictures from the internet and share them with anyone? That alone would make me jump ship back to Apple. How is that even possible?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been messing with downloading pictures all night and can't for the life of me figure out why I keep getting this error when I try to send a downloaded image from the internet via text messade:

Unsupported media type.
Select different media.

So what it is telling me is that I can't download pictures from the internet and share them with anyone? That alone would make me jump ship back to Apple. How is that even possible?

It could be that the file format isn't compatible with the Iphone. Sadly I don't have much experience with this as I don't know many people still on the Iphone. Have you tried sending the picture through a 3rd party app like Whatsapp? my sister has an Iphone and she regularly send me pics of her daughter, we send pics back and forth through Whatsapp with no issues.

Regarding the lagging software, you should download Nova - this will speed up the phone and its a much simpler and smoother UI than Touchwiz (IMO)

Also, you should try dashclock widgets. I've never had an issue with this - you can also download extra add ons for it

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Unsupported media type.
Select different media.

How are you doing this and what browser are you using? I've never had a problem with this on my S4 or S5. You just google image search, click on view in full size, long press, save image. I use the Firefox Browser but used to use Dolphin or Chrome. It shouldn't matter what browser you're using though. Anyway, that's not normal. I save images from the web all the time.

I too came from a jailbroken iPhone. I made the switch last September. It does take some getting used to but I don't ever see myself going back to apple now. Jailbreaking is a pain in the *** and it can be just as glitchy if you install tweaks that don't get along with each other. I remember doing a bunch of updates on tweaks and then my phone was acting all crazy and I had to systematically disable tweaks until I found out what one was causing my issues.

It's good that you'll be using the phone for 6 months because I think it takes at least a month or 2 of daily use to give it a fair shot. There are definitely things that iOS does better, such as lock screen notifications like you're saying but there is way more you can do on Android and you don't have to gain root access to do it. Also, iOS is smoother and the stock email app is way better than the stock Galaxy email app. There are tons of options in the Play Store though that will sort this out. You just have to experiment, just like you had to experiment with different tweaks in Cydia.

Another thing I'd suggest is checking out a different launcher when you get a settled in a bit. If you're coming from the jailbreak community and you are familiar with the tweak springtomize, a launcher will be comparable. I'd suggest Nova or Apex.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Unsupported media type.
Select different media.

I just had a quick read at your original post, when you say you are downloading images from Google Images and saving them to your photo are you referring to the Image search engine part on google.com? if so then it could be that your not saving the image, but maybe a web link or something?

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I am using google chrome. The stock browser. I find an image, click view image, long press in the image, save image. I then try sending it to anyone, even another S5 owner and get the same message.

I tried using several different messaging apps when I first got the phone, such as Hangouts, but always had an issue with my contact text tones. It would always use the generic text tone instead of the custom tones I have set for each individual contact. I didn't experience this issue, but actually never tried it. So idk if it would work.

I installed Nova a few days ago. It is very much like Springtomize.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7