Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HelenC
  • 1 Post By TimmyTwo2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't make/receive calls on Galaxy S5

Recently upgraded from HTC Rezound to Galaxy S5. Never had an issue with the Rezound in making/receiving phone calls.

Last week, noticed that I couldn't make a phone call. Spent an hour on the phone with Verizon tech and they sent me to a local Verizon store for a new sim card. I walked in, told the agent why I was there. He immediately took my phone, changed a couple of settings, and voila, my phone worked again.

Today, same thing. I looked at the settings and they hadn't changed from what he set it to. The only new thing on my phone was the addition of Dashlane, a password keeper program.

Does anyone have a clue why this is happening?

Default Re: Can't make/receive calls on Galaxy S5

You brought a smartphone to make calls? Who does that?
    Ok no seriously, let's go through the basics. Not to insult your intelligence, but it's best to start from level one.

Is the phone on Airplane mode?
    Do you have Blocking mode on?
    Have you tried calling the Verizon store you ventured into and requested the employee who helped you originally for insight so you can fix the problem?

The worse thing is a tech who doesn't show you how to fix the simple problems a user faces.
    Moto Photon Q (work/power phone) / Sam S5 (new primary) / Sam Continuum (music)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Phone is not on Airplane or Blocking. The employee won't be in for a couple of more hours (already tried calling him) and back on the phone with Verizon Tech.

The settings the employee changed were to take me off Global network and put me on LTE, and changed the Global Data Roaming to Allow Access. But those settings are still in place...which makes me wonder if that was the original problem in the first place.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Posting for the next person with the issue...I think I'm resolved at the moment.

Tech had me go to Settings > Backup and reset > Reset Settings

When it came back up, the phone dialed out again and I'm able to receive calls.
    theonlybuster likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This situation is ongoing. It's now refusing to make/receive calls every few hours now.

Why haven't they just given you a new phone?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

That's the next step. I'm insisting on it. Two 30 mile trips to the Verizon store, 3 hours on the phone with tech....I'm done.

Not sure if you ever resolved your issue but I had a similar issue. FreedomPop (it's a VOIP app) updated and was trying to take over my default dialer. The problem was I hadn't opened FreedomPop in at least a week, so I didn't know it. So what was happening was when I selected a number to call, it wouldn't do ANYTHING. Once I went into the app and said I didn't want to use it as my dialer, the next time I tried dialing a number it popped up the "what do you want to do this action with" pop up from Android. I selected default dialer and selected always. Now my phone works as it originally did. So I would check your VOIP apps if you have any.
    Nadine Jenkins likes this.

Thank you timmytwo2 had this same problem with making and receiving calls I have an app called TUgo same sorta thing can make/receive calls over your wifi if signal is not strong enough looked into that app setting and all sorted!! your a ☆Star☆