Thinking about getting the S5

FrancaV

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
The M8's metal case, audio, and Sense 6 UI intrigued me. It also has an SD card slot, which is very nice, although it takes nano SD rather than micro. The camera was almost good enough, too, but the non-removable battery was a non-starter for me. BTDT with my current Droid. I can't tell you how ticked off I was that this "feature" was not disclosed to me before I bought it. I didn't find out until the battery started misbehaving. Verizon replaced the entire phone for me but what a pain. As long as there are still phones with removable batteries I'm not putting up with the user-unfriendliness of the non-removable battery. I know, some people don't care because they don't keep phones long enough for battery issues to appear but if my phone suits me I'm in no hurry to get a new one; I'm not a big fan of "disposables".

The LG G3 has what appears to be a decent camera, external storage and a removable battery it but lost a few points on battery life. I'll have a look in the store again and compare screens but I think I prefer the S5's screen and ever so slightly smaller size and weight. They're both bigger than they need to be as far as I'm concerned but size is not that important to me. :) There were just a lot of other little things with this phone that weren't quite as good as the S5 or M8. Each on its own wasn't a big deal but all together they added up to placing it third on my top 3 prospects list.

There are things I'm not so keen on about the S5 .... It's still plastic; I'm really not sure how much this bothers me. Android isn't as sleek and stripped down as it could be. The rear speaker is definitely annoying but OTOH I've gotten used to it on the Droid 4 and I don't really listen to music much on my phone anyway without plugging into a headset or external speakers. I forget what the other negatives were, but so far the S5 seems to be the best overall fit for me. Maybe the next version will be metal, but I don't think I can stand my Moto Droid 4 long enough to wait for it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The S5 is still a great phone, if it's your choice you still will have done very well. I actually really liked knowing I could jog in the pouring rain with it for 2 hours and it couldn't care less, unlike my beloved Note 3.

The Note III

TextMeMaybe

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I have looked at the LG G3, it's a nice looking phone. But not a fan of the Power/Lock and volume buttons on the back. Also a lot of the YouTube reviews I watched mentioned overheating issues.

Does anyone have a case they recommend? I need something that doesn't add too much bulk, not slippery, and power and volume buttons are still easy to push.
Also, screen protector. I have a Zagg HD screen protector on my S3 that I like. Anyone recommend a different one? Is there any difference between wet and dry screen protectors?

Thanks

gsxr800

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm considering the s5 and currently own an iPhone 5 and been with Apple from the first phone. What's really got me concerned is the camera lens that has been cracking for no reason and Samsung is not owned up to the problem. How many of you just got a case for it instead of getting the active model?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering the s5 and currently own an iPhone 5 and been with Apple from the first phone. What's really got me concerned is the camera lens that has been cracking for no reason and Samsung is not owned up to the problem. How many of you just got a case for it instead of getting the active model?

I can't imagine using a phone without a case. Your post is the first I've heard of the camera lens being frail.

The Note III

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm on smartphone #3. My last two were Motorolas. This one's an S5. It's really, REALLY nice. I'm not regretting the purchase one bit!

And like Haalcyon said, a case is a must. Fortunately, there are a lot of really nice cases to choose from for the S5.

ohhdali

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
must have, just search up videos the camera whomping 16mp and ultra hd recordin featurer, waterproof i recorded videos completely under water

gsxr800

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I can't imagine using a phone without a case. Your post is the first I've heard of the camera lens being frail.

The Note III

Search for s5 camera lens cracked in this forum and there are 9 pages of mystery cracked lenses. I would put up a link but because I have fewer then 10 post I can't add a link.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Search for s5 camera lens cracked in this forum and there are 9 pages of mystery cracked lenses. I would put up a link but because I have fewer then 10 post I can't add a link.

I wonder how many of the cracked lens are on phones without a case or just as bad, on phones stored in pockets with, oh say, hard things like...keys (yes, believe it or not, people actually do this with their $200+ phones). Or perhaps the lens are spontaneously cracking for other reasons on well cared-for units.

The Note III

gsxr800

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how many of the cracked lens are on phones without a case or just as bad, on phones stored in pockets with, oh say, hard things like...keys (yes, believe it or not, people actually do this with their $200+ phones). Or perhaps the lens are spontaneously cracking for other reasons on well cared-for units.

From what I read most of them are in otter box cases and some have cracked with no explanation within 24 hours of purchase.

The Note III

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Op I'm an iPhone user and I love my s5. The finger scanner is hit and miss but the camera is amazing. Easily the best camera I've used on a phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
My phone is caseless and have no issues with the glass in the camera being broken, and does not have any scratches at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

punk999

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Go for it, I got the phone the other day and I'm in love with it, seriously, every time I hold it in my hand I get butterflies in my stomach, the screen is absolutely Amazing!!! The battery is one of the best in market and charges very quick. Camera and video recording is literally the best in a mobile till date. The new touch wiz is a lot cleaner than the previous ones. The back of the phone is very texturised and beautiful, I have the electric blue color. Also, the finger print scanner is perfect once you know how to use it, slowly slide you finger over the button and let it read your finger print, sliding it too quickly or not rotating your finger will cause errors.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar