Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking about getting the S5

I'm currently have the S3, which I really liked. And now I think it's time for an upgrade. How do you all like your S5? Any problems?

Thanks

Default Re: Thinking about getting the S5

You wont be disappointed, very fast charging with 3.0 usb , water resistant, bright beautiful display and very good camera

Posted via the Android Central App

I recently changed from an iPhone 5 to the s5 and I love it don't regret in a bit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

It's definitely a lot nicer than the S3 but won't be so different that you're scratching your head on how to use it. I would highly recommend this device. It really is an awesome phone. Definitely check out the G3 and the M8 too though. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

You won't be disappointed at all. This is an amazing phone. I have had may different phones, but I like S5 best so far.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by TexasS5 View Post
    I recently changed from an iPhone 5 to the s5 and I love it don't regret in a bit

Same here. I don't believe in slamming phones that are different than mine but I can't believe how much more I like this screen and camera.
    TexasS5 likes this.

Don't do it ....... not yet. I just upgraded my S3 to the S5 and was plagued with Bluetooth problems. If you don't use Bluetooth, then go for it, however with everything moving to Bluetooth streaming, connectivity it definitely caused major problems for me and I plan on returning mine this week. Replacement...I guess I'll wait for the LG G3 to release.

I use my S 5 to connect to Bluetooth speaker in the shower ,have had no problems at all

I have absolutely no problems with Bluetooth either. I use it in my car almost every single day.

I would imagine if you like your s3 you'd be fine. There were too many places where I dropped calls with my s3 or couldn't send texts. My guess is that the s5 would have the same problems. I would love to get the s5 but have to stick with Motorola or something else with better radios.

Global Posts
    7,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The S5 is a nice phone indeed, I have one. However, truth be told, unless the water/dust-proofness is what's desired there are better options in the G3 and M8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Live long and prosper.

chris2707 likes this.

S5 was a nice upgrade from the S3 for me. Much better battery life, faster, and it just takes what I loved about the S3 and multiplies it by 10. Very responsive and all the issues that I had with the S3 were fixed

The new TouchWiz Interface is very clean and intuitive there's actually not a lot of bloatware that you cannot disable. On the hardware side of things it has the best display on the market even when being compared to the Galaxy S5 LTE- model or LG G3, it has a heart rate monitor that give information faster than the apps on the store, it has a great 16mpx camera and shoots 4k and the fingerprint sensor is Great😃. A majority of phone drops happen when people are unlocking their devices, but since you have to use both hands to unlock it's a lot safer, well that's what I concluded . On the software side of things S Health is a beast fitness app, you can change the way your display looks if you don't like the oversaturated display change it in the settings and make it look more natural, air wake up is useful, the camera is less complicated and over all it's has a clean software experience! The speakers are also good.

I've got a pair of samsung Bluetooth earphones and a Bluetooth speaker and both work perfectly fine with my S5. I think if you've been happy with your S3 you should like the S5. I'm a bit of a Samsung galaxy fan girl lol I've gone from the original note to the S4 to the the Note 3 and now the S5 and I've been happy with each upgrade. If something aint broke then why fix it?

To be fair I briefly tried the iPhone 5S and the LG G3 but they didn't suit me like galaxy phones do at the moment.

Posted from my S5
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.

I feel fingerprint authentication is better than iphone 5S.

Global Posts
    7,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by nerue View Post
    I feel fingerprint authentication is better than iphone 5S.
    Really? How so?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Live long and prosper.

Hi, all - I, too, am thinking about getting the S5. Unlike a lot of people here, I am not upgrading from a previous Samsung phone so I'm aware that it will be quite new and different for me and I'm prepared for the learning curve. A brief history: I have had only two smartphones, both Motorola Droids. My first one really was great (for its time) but I've had a decidedly love-hate relationship with my second one for the past few years and am thinking of ditching it soon. My husband just got the Samsung S5 and thinks it would suit me very well. I've done the research (looked into the HTC One M8 and Sony Xperia Z2 as well) and in principle I agree ... in almost every instance the Samsung S5 has the features I most need and want. It's powerful and fast (with a few exceptions that don't bother me because anything is faster than my current Droid), has a great camera, a removable battery with reportedly excellent battery life, and a beautiful display, to name just a few. Metal instead of plastic would be nice but I'll take the better camera over the metal case.

I do have a few concerns, though, in no particular order:

1. I am very spoiled by the use of Gorilla glass on my Droids. The stuff is amazing - incredibly durable. Neither of my old Droids has ever seen a screen protector and both are as scratch-free as the day I bought them. While I've seen some anecdotal claims that the S5 has Gorilla glass, it does not show up in any spec list. Does it or does it not have Gorilla glass? If not, I'm wondering how much I'll miss it. I hate screen protectors and I can't tell you how many friends have cracked or smashed their non-Gorilla glass phone screens.

2. Whenever I check the Google Play Store for reviews before installing or updating apps, I see more complaints about things not working from Samsung Galaxy users than any other single brand. Is this purely because of market share or do the Galaxys tend to have more problems with new (or newly updated) apps than other phones?

3. This one is an Android OS problem - not specifically a Samsung Galaxy problem - but I will encounter it if I buy an S5 right now.
    There are known issues with the way KitKat handles external SD cards. I understand the reasoning behind it and approve of it from the security POV, but unfortunately it's going to create big hassles for awhile. For one, I already know that I will not be able to use the App Backup and Restore app that totally saved me from tearing my hair out over my last replacement phone fiasco. I installed it on my husband's S5 thinking it would be a good thing for him to have and it doesn't work because the app thinks his phone doesn't have an external SD card. This may just be a deal-breaker for me until the various apps affected by this have a chance to address the issue in future updates - unless there is some kind of fix to help apps out right now? Long shot, I know, but just thought I'd ask.

Global Posts
    7,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by FrancaV View Post
    Hi, all - I, too, am thinking about getting the S5. Unlike a lot of people here, I am not upgrading from a previous Samsung phone so I'm aware that it will be quite new and different for me and I'm prepared for the learning curve. A brief history: I have had only two smartphones, both Motorola Droids. My first one really was great (for its time) but I've had a decidedly love-hate relationship with my second one for the past few years and am thinking of ditching it soon. My husband just got the Samsung S5 and thinks it would suit me very well. I've done the research (looked into the HTC One M8 and Sony Xperia Z2 as well) and in principle I agree ... in almost every instance the Samsung S5 has the features I most need and want. It's powerful and fast (with a few exceptions that don't bother me because anything is faster than my current Droid), has a great camera, a removable battery with reportedly excellent battery life, and a beautiful display, to name just a few. Metal instead of plastic would be nice but I'll take the better camera over the metal case.

I do have a few concerns, though, in no particular order:

1. I am very spoiled by the use of Gorilla glass on my Droids. The stuff is amazing - incredibly durable. Neither of my old Droids has ever seen a screen protector and both are as scratch-free as the day I bought them. While I've seen some anecdotal claims that the S5 has Gorilla glass, it does not show up in any spec list. Does it or does it not have Gorilla glass? If not, I'm wondering how much I'll miss it. I hate screen protectors and I can't tell you how many friends have cracked or smashed their non-Gorilla glass phone screens.

2. Whenever I check the Google Play Store for reviews before installing or updating apps, I see more complaints about things not working from Samsung Galaxy users than any other single brand. Is this purely because of market share or do the Galaxys tend to have more problems with new (or newly updated) apps than other phones?

3. This one is an Android OS problem - not specifically a Samsung Galaxy problem - but I will encounter it if I buy an S5 right now.
    There are known issues with the way KitKat handles external SD cards. I understand the reasoning behind it and approve of it from the security POV, but unfortunately it's going to create big hassles for awhile. For one, I already know that I will not be able to use the App Backup and Restore app that totally saved me from tearing my hair out over my last replacement phone fiasco. I installed it on my husband's S5 thinking it would be a good thing for him to have and it doesn't work because the app thinks his phone doesn't have an external SD card. This may just be a deal-breaker for me until the various apps affected by this have a chance to address the issue in future updates - unless there is some kind of fix to help apps out right now? Long shot, I know, but just thought I'd ask.
    1. Yeahp, not just Gorilla glass but Gorilla glass 3 (unless I have my facts severely twisted).

2. That's just market share, in my opinion. My S5 served me quite well and was widely compatible with the plethora of apps I fed her.

3. You can still backup to and restore from the cloud via your Samsung account, amongst others.

The S5 is nice kit but I'm not certain it's the very best choice considering the LG G3 and HTC M8. Furthet, that water/dust-proof charger cover might also annoy after a while unless you're planning to delve into wireless charging.

The Note III
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    1. Yeahp, not just Gorilla glass but Gorilla glass 3 (unless I have my facts severely twisted).
    This is what I read from a few users but it is unconfirmed in any technical specs I've looked at. Anybody else know for absolutely sure? The guy in the Verizon store thought not but IMO really had no clue.

2. That's just market share, in my opinion. My S5 served me quite well and was widely compatible with the plethora of apps I fed her.
    Good to know!

3. You can still backup to and restore from the cloud via your Samsung account, amongst others.
    Ah, but I'm moving from a Motorola Droid and don't have a Samsung account. When I tried using Verizon's backup I ran out of free space, plus I'm not sure how good the app backup is. I'm not so concerned about contacts, email (Google takes care of those) or photos and music (I can back those up to my computer) but I would like to preserve all of my apps in their current versions on my phone in case I don't like the latest versions. There are some apps whose latest versions I would really like to avoid if KitKat will let me.

The S5 is nice kit but I'm not certain it's the very best choice considering the LG G3 and HTC M8. Further, that water/dust-proof charger cover might also annoy after a while unless you're planning to delve into wireless charging.
    I haven't delved into wireless charging yet so I don't know if it's something that I want or not, but I don't think the cover will bother me much. Thanks for the warning, though - I'll mess around with it on my husband's phone a bit to be sure.
    I looked at the reviews and specs for the LG G3 and HTC M8 - aside from aesthetics (not that important to me), why do you think they are better choices than the S5?

Global Posts
    7,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I like the camera, screen, and larger size of the G3 better than the S5 (which I had up until this past Friday). I've heard good things about the M8's Sense 6 UI vs. the S5's touchwiz. You also have the M8's great audio vs. the S5's not-so-great rear-facing mono speaker. You also have that METAL build quality of the M8. However, with the S5 you have a spectacular camera, water and dust-proof, removable battery and removable storage.

The Note III
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:

The M8's metal case, audio, and Sense 6 UI intrigued me. It also has an SD card slot, which is very nice, although it takes nano SD rather than micro. The camera was almost good enough, too, but the non-removable battery was a non-starter for me. BTDT with my current Droid. I can't tell you how ticked off I was that this "feature" was not disclosed to me before I bought it. I didn't find out until the battery started misbehaving. Verizon replaced the entire phone for me but what a pain. As long as there are still phones with removable batteries I'm not putting up with the user-unfriendliness of the non-removable battery. I know, some people don't care because they don't keep phones long enough for battery issues to appear but if my phone suits me I'm in no hurry to get a new one; I'm not a big fan of "disposables".

The LG G3 has what appears to be a decent camera, external storage and a removable battery it but lost a few points on battery life. I'll have a look in the store again and compare screens but I think I prefer the S5's screen and ever so slightly smaller size and weight. They're both bigger than they need to be as far as I'm concerned but size is not that important to me. There were just a lot of other little things with this phone that weren't quite as good as the S5 or M8. Each on its own wasn't a big deal but all together they added up to placing it third on my top 3 prospects list.

There are things I'm not so keen on about the S5 .... It's still plastic; I'm really not sure how much this bothers me. Android isn't as sleek and stripped down as it could be. The rear speaker is definitely annoying but OTOH I've gotten used to it on the Droid 4 and I don't really listen to music much on my phone anyway without plugging into a headset or external speakers. I forget what the other negatives were, but so far the S5 seems to be the best overall fit for me. Maybe the next version will be metal, but I don't think I can stand my Moto Droid 4 long enough to wait for it.

Global Posts
    7,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The S5 is still a great phone, if it's your choice you still will have done very well. I actually really liked knowing I could jog in the pouring rain with it for 2 hours and it couldn't care less, unlike my beloved Note 3.

The Note III
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:
    FrancaV likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Thanks for all the responses. I have looked at the LG G3, it's a nice looking phone. But not a fan of the Power/Lock and volume buttons on the back. Also a lot of the YouTube reviews I watched mentioned overheating issues.

Does anyone have a case they recommend? I need something that doesn't add too much bulk, not slippery, and power and volume buttons are still easy to push.
    Also, screen protector. I have a Zagg HD screen protector on my S3 that I like. Anyone recommend a different one? Is there any difference between wet and dry screen protectors?

Thanks

I'm considering the s5 and currently own an iPhone 5 and been with Apple from the first phone. What's really got me concerned is the camera lens that has been cracking for no reason and Samsung is not owned up to the problem. How many of you just got a case for it instead of getting the active model?

Global Posts
    7,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr800 View Post
    I'm considering the s5 and currently own an iPhone 5 and been with Apple from the first phone. What's really got me concerned is the camera lens that has been cracking for no reason and Samsung is not owned up to the problem. How many of you just got a case for it instead of getting the active model?
    I can't imagine using a phone without a case. Your post is the first I've heard of the camera lens being frail.

The Note III
    Live long and prosper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast