Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Default Verizon Messages+, Hangouts, etc text tone, issue with custom contact tones.

I really like using the Verizon Messages+ application on my newly acquired S5, but I am having an issue with custom tones. I changed the tone under the settings to a Star Wars blaster tone, but it ALWAYS plays that tone. It will not play the custom text tones I set up in the contacts for individuals. I set my wife's tone as "Baby got back", but when she texts me, it still only plays the Star Wars blaster tone. I am sure I am just missing a setting somewhere. If I use the stock Samsung app, everything works perfect. If I use any other app, I can't get my contact tones to work at all.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
    Tim

Default Re: Verizon Messages+, Hangouts, etc text tone, issue with custom contact tones.

I had this same problem. All of the info I could find said to change the tone in the contact. Well I did that and ran into the same issue you are having.

Then one day I was looking at a message from my wife in Verizon messaging and noticed three lines on the upper left corner near her name. I touched the lines, slid my finger to the right and a whole new menu opened up.

Do this and then scroll down to 'tones' and change it to the desired tone. This simple fix is what solved the problem for me....

Good luck!
    Doug
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Verizon Messages+, Hangouts, etc text tone, issue with custom contact tones.

Yeah, what you change in the contacts menu is ringtone, not message tones. Specific message tones will need to be changed in the messaging app.

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alankulwicki7 View Post
    I had this same problem. All of the info I could find said to change the tone in the contact. Well I did that and ran into the same issue you are having.

Then one day I was looking at a message from my wife in Verizon messaging and noticed three lines on the upper left corner near her name. I touched the lines, slid my finger to the right and a whole new menu opened up.

Do this and then scroll down to 'tones' and change it to the desired tone. This simple fix is what solved the problem for me....

Good luck!
    Doug
    I did what you suggested, but it will change the ringtone for Messages+, not just that contact. I went to a message from my wife, clicked the dots, changed the tone, but it set the tone for ALL messages, not just hers. So what you are saying is you have separate tones for your wife from everyone else in Messages+?

Quote Originally Posted by williams448 View Post
    Yeah, what you change in the contacts menu is ringtone, not message tones. Specific message tones will need to be changed in the messaging app.

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5
    When I searched for the solution, there's a way to add 'message tone' to your main contact fields. I did that and it didn't solve the problem. That's when I stumbled upon the other place to change the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Timm4y77 View Post
    I did what you suggested, but it will change the ringtone for Messages+, not just that contact. I went to a message from my wife, clicked the dots, changed the tone, but it set the tone for ALL messages, not just hers. So what you are saying is you have separate tones for your wife from everyone else in Messages+?
    Yes. My main text tone is one tone but I have separate tones for a couple of contacts.

Edit: one more thing: Go to the main settings menu, pick 'sound' then scroll down to 'messages' under samsung applications and turn that off. Then Verizon Messages should be the one controlling the message sounds....

Hopefully this solves the problem!
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Success!!!! Thank you so much for the help! I got it now. It's a bit annoying to have to set the tone for every conversation, but it will work. Greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Red face Re: Verizon Messages+, Hangouts, etc text tone, issue with custom contact tones.

alankulwicki7 . (Doug) you are AWESOME! Those little, tiny, almost obscure lines were the missing link to making it work. My Messaging+ now works as it should. Although, it really shouldn't have been that difficult to make it work, but I have to say Doug, that you are the FIRST person who posted how to actually make it work. Thank you very, very much.

Has anyone noticed that once you delete a messages from a user you created a custom tone for that the custom tone goes away?

I wanted to clean the inbox today on Verizon Messages + and now I am left without my customizations.

I enjoy Vz Message + as I am able to check messages with my iPad, however, I don't want to have to set the tones each time I wish to do inbox cleanup.

Quote Originally Posted by alankulwicki7 View Post
    When I searched for the solution, there's a way to add 'message tone' to your main contact fields. I did that and it didn't solve the problem. That's when I stumbled upon the other place to change the tone.

Yes. My main text tone is one tone but I have separate tones for a couple of contacts.

Edit: one more thing: Go to the main settings menu, pick 'sound' then scroll down to 'messages' under samsung applications and turn that off. Then Verizon Messages should be the one controlling the message sounds....

Hopefully this solves the problem!
    I've read this post a few times and I still can't get custom tones for different contacts. What an I doing wrong? I went to sounds in the main phone settings and made it silent. Now I go to the settings for each conversation in messages plus and change the tone but it changes the tone for all conversations. I have the custom tone assigned to each contact too. I have a note 4. Thanks.