Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tyler Moon
  • 1 Post By mhunter6378
  • 1 Post By woahohkelsey
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 2 questions about Galaxy S5 OEM back plates

So i'm a new android user, in fact i'm picking up my new s5 in 2 weeks to the day from this post. Major learning curve, but i'm excited about it. I have been to the local best buy and have been online looking at reviews, etc for a few weeks now making sure i'm getting exactly what I want out of this. During this process I have had 2 questions that have yet to be answered, and they're very simple questions.

1. The local store where I got some hands on time had a black, white, and gold s5 to get some hands on time with. I noticed really fast that the black one actually had a decent grip to the stock rear case. The white and gold were too smooth and did not have the same grip as the black one. I've gotten 2 answers for this. The first was by the Samsung rep's at the store, and they said they're all made the same and the gold and white ones must have just been worn down from a lot of use. The second one I got from a Samsung rep as well at the same store the next week, he said the black case was the only one with a grip to it. Well I love the blue s5 however if the black is the only one with a grip, you can bet i'll be getting the black one because I do not like cases. So is the black on the only one with a grip? or do they all and it just gets worn down with use?

2. For the Samsung S5 Wireless Charging Cover, I have 2 questions about it as well, though i'm sure I know one of them already. First question is does it retain the IP 67 certification. I see from the pictures that it looks like it has the seals, so i'm assuming it does but I need to know for sure before I jack it up by letting it play music while i'm in the shower. Secondly does the black one have the same faux leather feel of the stock black case on the s5 ?

Thanks again for the help, swapping over from the iphone after all of 4 years is a big change, just kinda new to figuring out the community and where to ask questions, etc. Any other tips for changing over are definately welcome. Already know to disable my imessage. ( hope I can still see the whole "message read" thing though), any other tips?

-Tyler

Default re: 2 questions about Galaxy S5 OEM back plates

I think most of us are just ordinary users. Those questions .... probably only Samsung reps can answer accurately ...
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah that's where I was coming up with issues because I was getting different answers for the same question from different reps, was just kinda hoping someone had some hands on time with the blue one or the wireless cover

ROM
    Tapatalk Signature~

I personally do not own the s5, but from my research, you can order a seperate back(not a full on case, but a battery cover) that has the rubberized grip.

As for the wireless charger case, i would assume by common sense and logic that an ip67 phone would have an ip67 wireless charger case. However, it is always safe to play it safe for i have read reports of the water resistense not being as resistent as they claim.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

It was the same for the black and white Note 3 as well. Black one had a soft leathery feel the white one was a harder finish. What I have read is that if they made the white one that same way as the black - it would retain dirt and grime - something that would become very apparent on a white phone. That finish would get notably dingy over time. So they give the white phones the slicker harder backs to discourage discoloration. Seemed to make sense to me.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yeah that makes sense. Really guess you can't go wrong with the black on anyway. Thank you both for your replies . The only thing left to figure out is if the black wireless cover has the soft touch as well. Read a review a bit ago that said it was good for the IP67 still. You've both been very helpful. Thank you.
    randall2580 likes this.

I kept the original back by buying this Qi receiver:

Amazon.com: S5 SlimPWRcard - 0.5mm Qi Receiver for Samsung Galaxy S5 SV: Cell Phones & Accessories

It does not create a bump in the original cover and, as far as I can tell, keeps the IP67 capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Moon View Post
    Yeah that makes sense. Really guess you can't go wrong with the black on anyway. Thank you both for your replies . The only thing left to figure out is if the black wireless cover has the soft touch as well. Read a review a bit ago that said it was good for the IP67 still. You've both been very helpful. Thank you.
    I ordered the black wireless charging cover directly through Samsung. Yes it does have the same soft touch feel as the standard black cover. It also has the same gasket seal on the interior as the standard cover and should retain the same water and dust resistance qualities as the standard cover as it is identical in every respect except the added wireless charging coil and a bit of added thickness and weight.
    Thanked by:
    Tyler Moon likes this.

I bought a Blue back off eBay and it has the same feel as the black one. I originally had black but replaced it with blue.
    Thanked by:
    Tyler Moon likes this.

I have had 2 questions that have yet to be answered, and they're very simple questions.

1. The cases all have the same texture when they leave the factory

2. For the Samsung S5 Wireless Charging Cover, I have 2 questions about it as well, though i'm sure I know one of them already. First question is does it retain the IP 67 certification.

YES
    Verizon Galaxy S5