Application access rights

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I am new to the Android world. When I add an app to my S5 I see notices about what system features it can access. Some I understand why the app needs it and many I don't.

For example, my bank app can read my contacts, the Google Service config, location and it can make calls. I assume it needs access to location so it can tell me the closest bank branch. I assume it makes calls in case I want to call the branch. But why does it need access to my contacts? And what is the Google Service config and why does a bank app need access?

The AccuWeather app can Find Accounts. Why?

And when an app modifies/deletes from USB storage what is USB storage? The internal 16 gig? The SD card?

Inquiring minds want to know.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Educated guess here:

The bank apps need contacts in case you have the branch in your contacts
google services could be a number of things, none sinister, like you need google services for the app to directly update from the play store
Find accounts is to see if you have an account stored with the particular app and automatically sign you in

I believe that either can be USB storage and it is necessary to cache data and stuff you want to save or delete.

There is an article on the front page about permissions and how they are not sisnister (it pertains to the Facebook app but is a good example) in addition not long ago AC did a featured article on what the individual permissions mean and do. I do not have it at my fingertips but if you search the front page you should be able to find it. I think it was at the beginning of the year...

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
oh and this are close to the same thing you had with other mobile OS's. Android just tells you about them. Apple and the like do it without letting you know

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon