Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Advice Please

I was an android user years ago, then switched to iphone. I am wanting to go back to an android device and am looking at the galaxy s5.

Can anyone please give me honest feedback on this phone, and samsung phones in general. My previous android phones were HTC and Motorola.

Thanks in advance for any advice/information!

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Default Re: Advice Please

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Honestly, check out the HTC One M8. Coming from an iPhone, which is smooth and quick, you won't be able to tolerate the Galaxy S5. I'm not going to mention build quality, because I happen to think the S5 is pretty solid, and it feels better in my hand than the One M8. But for me it's just too slow and stutters beyond what I can tolerate.

You're not going to check out the iPhone 6 before moving to Android?

Also, before deciding on which Android phone to get, wait and see what Motorola has to offer at the beginning of next month.

I personally love the GS5, it's a great phone
    I like the way it looks
    The physical home button is great, the fingerprint scanner is great, good camera,
    In regards to the lag, I do get some occasionally depending on what I'm doing, but there could also be several different factors to that, other than the phone is just slow

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

The Galaxy S5 is a great phone. It does not lag or stutter at all if you set it up right. All you need to do to avoid this is tweak the developer settings, disable the S Voice home button double press and run a different launcher like Apex or Nova and you will not have any of the issues that NickA is speaking of.

That's not to say you shouldn't check out the M8, because you should. I'd also check out the G3.

I've actually done all of that, plus disabling my magazine plus other stuff and mine still lags sometimes, I have to restart it to get rid of the lag. The iPhone is a lot smoother. Anyway from my personal experience I probably wouldn't recommend the s5. I do like the phone but I don't think it's worth the price tag (I'm on sim free). I'm selling mine as soon as the note 4 comes out.

Posted via the Android Central App

I've owned all the top flagships this year.

G3 (daily driver)
    + 5.5" in squeezed in this Body is unbelievable.
    + Build & Design is stunning.
    + Camera
    + Like TouchWiz it offers useful features like Dual Window.
    + Optional Wireless Charging.

/ The 2K Display. Good not great but I've been told it looks amazing. It's not the reason why I bought it.
    / Over Heating. Again, it was my fault. Strange that I put that much stress to the G3 that day. It was hot, in the car and direct sunlight while streaming Floss' "Real Review" of the Sony XPERIA Z2 Tablet.

I really can't think of any negative.

S5 (back-up)
    + Perfect Size
    + IP67
    + TouchWiz UI may be to each own but I find it useful like MultiWindow, ToolBox.
    + Camera
    + Optional Wireless Charging

- Flap Cover for IP67
    - Build Quality, I have 4-5 dents on the Chrome Bezels and Creaks

M8
    / Build & Design but it's too Tall & Slippery.
    / Display but those Bezels are annoying.
    / hTc Sense 6 but nothing more. I can't think of a useful feature.
    / UltraPixel. It has its advantages over other Super Phones.

+ BoomSound

Z2
    / Build & Design but like the M8, I find it too tall and sharp edges.
    / UI is good not great and like hTc offers nothing.

+ IP57
    + Dual Speakers but nothing like BoomSound. Front stereo should be standard.

This is why the M8 & Z2 didn't last long. LG demonstrates that you don't need Aluminum & Glass to build & design a great device.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    I've owned all the top flagships this year.

G3 (daily driver)
    I have the GS5 and M8, and switch back and forth, along with a Note 3 and an iPhone 5s. What do you think of the battery life of the G3 compared to the M8 and the GS5?

The GS5 is a great phone all the way around. My first Galaxy was the GS4 and loved it. Once in awhile it will lag because of touchwiz but overall I recommend the GS5.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I have the GS5 and M8, and switch back and forth, along with a Note 3 and an iPhone 5s. What do you think of the battery life of the G3 compared to the M8 and the GS5?
    I can't comment on the M8 because i only had it for a few days. The G3 is on par with the S5.

I have to point out my S5 has been on ART for almost two months and recently switched the G3 a few days ago so I'll see if Battery Life outperforms the S5.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)