Should I take off my Galaxy S5 otterbox?

JellyJamStudios

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The buttons on my otterbox are hard to press, the case is too bulky and it gets very very filthy which I detest. I find myself cleaning the case every day and taking my phone out of it. Not to mention since there is poor circulation since the case is so tight it tends to heat up a lot. The film on the case also makes my screen look bad as it is a tad bit opaque. But it does protect the phone rather well. I have a spigen tough armour case that I like a lot, but I believe if I drop it from a distance my screen will Crack or even worse the digitizer will go out, I also do not have insurance on the device yet. But with that being said I am very good with phones.

Posted via Android Central App

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I personally can't stand Otterboxes and other big, bulky cases. I had an Otterbox for my last smartphone and used it for maybe a month before ditching it and going naked. I had similar complaints as you; it was way too bulky and seemed to attract lint and dust like a magnet. I'm also careful with phones, so for my S5 I went with a Spigen ultra fit (plus a tempered glass screen protector). It's very slim and provides plenty of protection for my purposes--I'm mostly just concerned with preventing minor nicks and wear to keep the phone looking good and to increase later resale value. Sounds like you've already halfway made up your mind to lose the Otterbox; I say go for it.

Last edited:

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I like the OtterBox Defender. It let's me know I'm holding something in my hand.

It's all about personal preference though. You have to decide for yourself what best suits your style. No one can or should do this for you.

TexasS5

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I like the OtterBox Defender. It let's me know I'm holding something in my hand.

It's all about personal preference though. You have to decide for yourself what best suits your style. No one can or should do this for you.

I feel the same way, i like the hefty feel to it myself, and when i had my iPhone 5, there more than 1 occasion where i dropped my iPhone 5 on concrete, sure glad i had the otterbox Defender on it!! I bought my Defender for my S5 same night i got the phone, i didn't want it be without one.

ashleymcguffries90

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I had a the new otterbox symmetry on my iPhone. I loved it was slim like a speck case but protective like an otterbox. I plan to get one as soon as my glass screen protector arrives

freightguy70

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the defender. I like it. I drive tractor trailer for a living. I dropped my s4 twice from the cab to the ground. Held up great. My only complaint is how dust gets underneath the screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

TexasS5

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I had a the new otterbox symmetry on my iPhone. I loved it was slim like a speck case but protective like an otterbox. I plan to get one as soon as my glass screen protector arrives
I was going to get a screen protector for my s5 to go under the OtterBox screen protector Best Buy told me not to

Marc Bolh

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't like cases in general. I think it's sad to see such stylish devices like a Galaxy S5 in a foam case :( I guess if your prone to dropping your phone alot...

TexasS5

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Which kind of protector? The regular zagg screen protectors are ok, but a lot of places say if you get a glass protector don't use it with a otterbox defender.
I was just going to get a regular screen protector something to protect my screen of dust got between the OtterBox and s5 screen

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I used to always get bulky cases but have grown tired of them as my previous phone was a galaxy note 2 and was far too big to have a bulky case. Now that I have the Galaxy s5 I like the look and size of it and do not want to mess with it too much, therefore I put a see through caseology slim TPU case on it. It only adds .2mm to the thickness of the phone and it has a special coating to keep the case clear and scratch free unlike cheaper tpu cases. This allows you to see the beautiful phone and protect it without the big rubber looking monstrosity cases.

Posted with my Galaxy S5, via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech