Should I take off my Galaxy S5 otterbox?

Mike Hawks1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I usually recommend the Otter Box style cases not just for screen protection but to keep the bezel nice and new looking too. One thing about the Galaxy series is that they tend to scuff up easily and changing the mid-frame which is attached to the bezel always involves some element of risk not to mention the time/cost involved in replacement. For some this may not be a concern as you might take much better care of your phones than most people but there is the advantage of maintaining a "like new" appearance in case you decide to sell it later on.

I'm sure that other types of cases can achieve the same effect but for those prone to accidents it's tough to beat the Otter.

TheRewardisCheese

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Once you go glass (screen protectors) you will never go plastic again. Glass screen protectors feel VERY premium and definitely help keep your actual phone screen from cracking.

cliro

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Ripped out the crappy, built in protector and put a tempered glass protector on mine. I love the defender case, makes my phone feel like a real man's phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Ripped out the crappy, built in protector and put a tempered glass protector on mine. I love the defender case, makes my phone feel like a real man's phone.

Exactly what I did for my Note 3. You'll love the otterbox then!

sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Got the otterbox defender and bodyguardz glass screen protector on my Note 3 and works great.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Any tips or hints on the install ?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via Tapatalk
I got mine from the AT&T store and they installed it for me there..... Did a good job. I never was really good at installing screen protectors lol

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Otterbox Commuter + a tempered glass screen protector for me. The Otterbox does add heft, but I feel safer knowing it's on there.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't want a bulky case. I had an otterbox on my S4 but took it off after a while as I didn't like the weight it added.

Now I use a spigen ultra clear case for my S5 with a glass screen protector. I do have insurance though if anything happens.

Posted from my S5

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Dont like otterbox to bulky or screen protectors kind of makes the display suck. I have a thin bodyglove case which goes around the edges and the bac which is enuff. And yes I have dropped my phone numerous times still good as new got it the day it came out.. over protection takes away from the experience ..

Last edited:

pvirc

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the otterbox defender. I hated the stock screen film protector. What I did was order a spigen glas tr (I believe) the 0.2mm tempered glass screen protector. I removed phone from case. I popped off the plastic film off of case. Applied tempered glass to the phone. I served phone back into case.
I love it now it's like looking at hd screen now the way it should be.
Hope this helps.

pvirc

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Either way one of the new tempered glass protectors are the way to go.

I don't want to offend any otterbox haters....and I understand there are other cases just as good. Where I live I am limited and have to order anything worthwhile online.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Dont like otterbox to bulky or screen protectors kind of makes the display suck. I have a thin bodyglove case which goes around the edges and the bac which is enuff. And yes I have dropped my phone numerous times still good as new got it the day it came out.. over protection takes away from the experience ..

While I agree that plastic/film screen protectors make the display look like crap, I gotta recommend the tempered glass ones. I bought one for ten bucks (no need, in my opinion, to spend 4x as much on a zagg or Spigen) and it's awesome. It's crystal clear and perfectly smooth; it literally feels and looks just like the original screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary