Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 battery problems, please help.

Hi guys, I know this topic gets asked about alot in these forums, but I don't know who else to ask for advice. I've had my S5 since it came out, and the only reason I bought was because the battery life was supposed to be awesome. After having the phone for a little while, I'm noticing that is has a worse battery life than my old iphone 4s. I took the phone back to the store I bought it from, but they insist nothing is wrong with my phone and that I'm just too picky. Here are the screenshots on my battery today,can anyone suggest a way to make its life last as long as it should?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S5 battery problems, please help.-2014-08-15-22.39.33.jpg   Galaxy S5 battery problems, please help.-2014-08-15-22.39.24.jpg   Galaxy S5 battery problems, please help.-2014-08-15-22.39.49.jpg   Galaxy S5 battery problems, please help.-2014-08-15-22.56.48.jpg   Galaxy S5 battery problems, please help.-2014-08-15-22.56.53.jpg  

Galaxy S5 battery problems, please help.-2014-08-15-22.56.58.jpg  

Default Re: Galaxy S5 battery problems, please help.

what is your screen time?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

right at an hour.

go into application manager and start turning off apps and force stop apps. it helps.

I would turn on power saving mode, turn off Bluetooth, turn off location settings, use wifi if you can, turn off cellular data if it's a bad connection or you don't need it, turn the brightness as low as you can stand it, and turn off some built in apps that are running that you don't use

And have you also tried using a different battery?

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I normally press the left button and then go to active applications and choose "end all." Does that wor? Or should I go through the application manager in the settings? Also should I be stopping all the things that are currently running, or just a few specific ones?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by codyoehl View Post
    I would turn on power saving mode, turn off Bluetooth, turn off location settings, use wifi if you can, turn off cellular data if it's a bad connection or you don't need it, turn the brightness as low as you can stand it, and turn off some built in apps that are running that you don't use

And have you also tried using a different battery?

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    No, I haven't tried a different battery. And I always keep regular power saving mode on.

Same here, the battery is terrible.

Posted via the Android Central App

Go into settings/apps/app mgr and Disable/Uninstall anything that has Amazon in the name. That app is a huge battery sucker.

Disable any app you don't use, for me, S Health is useless so I disabled it, noticed right away that the battery life improved.

Turn off sync, turn off Background data. Neither of those are needed for 99.5 percent of what we do.

For myself, I turn off Data, WiFi, Sync, every time I lock the screen and the phone is idle. I choose to use MacroDroid to handle that chore for me. YMMV but it is a great app.

Bluetooth uses a bit of power, but I leave it on because I wear a BT earpiece at work.

GPS location uses a tiny bit of power, but I leave it on also in High Accuracy Mode. This has not been a problem for me at all. Battery Doctor reports that only costs me about 25 minutes worth of battery per day.

I prefer to have the phone totally idled when I don't have the screen lit up and me reading something.

Telco calls and Txt Messaging works just fine w/o any of the data services, it is a basic 1x service that rides on the carrier's basic service.

I easily get 3 or 4 days of use when I am not really active with the phone.

On days when I need it, the battery is always nearly topped off at 90% plus and then I go surfing and use a lot of video, newspaper articles, realtime TV watching, etc..... when doing that I notice that the battery takes a pretty hit.... down to something like 80% or even a time or two down to 65% during a single surfing session that lasted a couple hours or more.

Just make sure that any app you are not using is not active in the background.... when I am out on the job, I make heavy use of the GPS and reporting locations for road work repairs, bridges that have missing pavement, etc.... on those times, the battery takes a good hit because of the heavy mapping data required to be downloaded and using email to send in the reports.

The S5's battery is a good one, I have no complaints. Originally before I bought the phone, I thought I would need one or two spare batteries. I always did in the past, but not with the S5. It has always gotten through the day with a lot of power left.

Sometimes it is down to 15%, other days it is still st 85% or better. Just depends on how active my work load has been.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON