Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default People keep saying they can't hear me!

    OK, this is my first Smart Phone. I had a simple Samsung cell phone before, and this S5 is bigger, but I love this thing.

    But people on the phone keep telling me they can barely hear me. It's driving me crazy. I mean, I listen at the top of the phone and talk at the bottom, while holding it to my ear, right?! But I practically have to scream to get them to hear me. This is in the car with the AC running on medium fan speed, but the windows closed, BUT it happens plenty of other times too. Is the mic in this think kinda marginal?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    I don't know if this will correct the issue since this is my first Android phone. Go to your settings, scroll to the bottom where it says "call" scroll to the bottom and see if the box is checked next to noise reduction. If not check it. If that doesn't work, then you are probably in a bad area or something is wrong with your mic and you need to return to your carrier
    Verizon Galaxy S5
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    Quote Originally Posted by ashleymcguffries90 View Post
    I don't know if this will correct the issue since this is my first Android phone. Go to your settings, scroll to the bottom where it says "call" scroll to the bottom and see if the box is checked next to noise reduction. If not check it. If that doesn't work, then you are probably in a bad area or something is wrong with your mic and you need to return to your carrier
    Thanks Ashley, didn't know about that - will go try it.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    Ok. Please post the results. I'm currently with AT&T and for a while people were saying that they couldn't hear me nor understand me, turns out it's a tower near me that needs some work. Presently, it's being worked on- that's maybe another thing you can check: see if any towers in your area are down, if not, report your issue and I'm sure your carrier will send someone out to check things out 😊
    Verizon Galaxy S5
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    Quote Originally Posted by ashleymcguffries90 View Post
    Ok. Please post the results. I'm currently with AT&T and for a while people were saying that they couldn't hear me nor understand me, turns out it's a tower near me that needs some work. Presently, it's being worked on- that's maybe another thing you can check: see if any towers in your area are down, if not, report your issue and I'm sure your carrier will send someone out to check things out 😊
    I will, but it won't be towers, it's all over Denver. Thanks!
  6. #6  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    You are welcome! I hope I somewhat helped you with your issue.
    Verizon Galaxy S5
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    I checked it last night and apparently I'd found the noise cancellation setting when I first got the phone, so now it's a mystery.

    It seems positional. DO I need to talk closer to the phone, because of the noise cancellation setting, perhaps?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    I'm with AT&T and I was having that issue all of a sudden one day. Called and got a replacement no issues anymore.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    I have found that it don't much matter how I hold the phone.

    The microphone is very good.

    The noise cancellation is pretty good and reducing background noises, but can't prevent the car a/c vents from covering up your audio if they blow right on the phone.

    I just searched thru the Settings menus with the "search function" and can't find anything that mentions microphone sensitivity. So, it must be fixed in the Auto Leveling software.

    I know that when I use the phone as a voice recorder, it will pickup anyone talking in a medium sized conference room. just did that for a birthday party with 30 attendees and the introductions around the room all were easily heard in the recording.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off=Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on=WiFi Data ON
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    I have found that it don't much matter how I hold the phone.

    The microphone is very good.

    The noise cancellation is pretty good and reducing background noises, but can't prevent the car a/c vents from covering up your audio if they blow right on the phone.

    I just searched thru the Settings menus with the "search function" and can't find anything that mentions microphone sensitivity. So, it must be fixed in the Auto Leveling software.

    I know that when I use the phone as a voice recorder, it will pickup anyone talking in a medium sized conference room. just did that for a birthday party with 30 attendees and the introductions around the room all were easily heard in the recording.
    Now that you mention it, I may need to adjust the car vent down, to be sure it doesn't blow on it. Stay tuned....
  11. #11  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    When in the car, I wear a Blue Parrott xl250 truckers headset with its' own noise cancelling microphone.

    Obviously that makes it hands free and not a LEO magnet. Around here, if you have your hand up to your ear, you are likely to get a Blue Light warning real quick.

    Even so, with the trucker's headset on, the car's a/c vents must be directed away from my face. The air noise is louder than your voice and people really gripe in a hurry about the loss of microphone volume.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off=Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on=WiFi Data ON
  12. #12  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    The issue you have is a known bug that I have seen posted all over the place and that I encountered when I got my phone. You may go through several replacements before you get one that works. I got my air compressor out. got it up to about 30 psi and blew out the microphone. Not an issue since then. Not sure if canned air will have enough psi to fix it. also i would not go to high on the psi of a air compressor. you could blow the microphone materials apart. The microphone is the tiny hole next to the charge port.
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    Make sure you aren't holding the phone with your pinky finger over the small microphone hole near the usb port.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: People keep saying they can't hear me!

    Quote Originally Posted by ccps View Post
    The issue you have is a known bug that I have seen posted all over the place and that I encountered when I got my phone. You may go through several replacements before you get one that works. I got my air compressor out. got it up to about 30 psi and blew out the microphone. Not an issue since then. Not sure if canned air will have enough psi to fix it. also i would not go to high on the psi of a air compressor. you could blow the microphone materials apart. The microphone is the tiny hole next to the charge port.
    Thanks CCPS. If this is a known bug with Samsung, then they should fix it, or get me a fixed phone!

Similar Threads

  1. data keeps turning itself on even background data restricted
    By Tracis71875 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2014, 06:37 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 09:35 AM
  3. Where can I download the latest update?
    By CannedBullets in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM
  4. Can only pic contact image from gallery
    By kizer8 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 08:44 AM
  5. MX Android TV box...can't access Android OS
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions