Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PainFX
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is you " data " always turned on?

I was wondering if your mobile data is always on? Because when I turn my data on, it uses alot of battery even when not in use!

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Best Answer

I never shut my mobile data off. Even when on wifi I keep the mobile data toggle on.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Default Re: Is your data always on?

Mine can last the whole day with my mobile data on.

How do you know? And how is your data signal? If you have poor signal, it can drain your battery, since the radio has to work harder to get a signal.

Show us your battery screenshots. First, charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with regular usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph (showing total Awake time and Mobile Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (showing total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category (showing Time without Signal).

I leave everything on including data and my battery lasts all day.

Posted from my S5
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.

Quote Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
    I leave everything on including data and my battery lasts all day.

Posted from my S5
    Ditto.

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras." MacKenzie (The Newsroom, HBO)
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Ok. I will do so and post screen shots.
    Thanks

I strongly suspect that your battery drain is related to poor 3/4G signal strength. That is a horrible battery drain as the phones radio is running at full strength 100% desperately trying to find a signal. If this is your situation then all you can do is make sure you're on wifi as much of the time as possible or simply shut off mobile data when you're not actually using the phone. You'll see that your battery life improves dramatically when you get into an area with stronger signal strength.
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC

Like others have said poor data connection can cause battery drain. Data on smartphones is always on to keep you notified instantly on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    I strongly suspect that your battery drain is related to poor 3/4G signal strength. That is a horrible battery drain as the phones radio is running at full strength 100% desperately trying to find a signal. If this is your situation then all you can do is make sure you're on wifi as much of the time as possible or simply shut off mobile data when you're not actually using the phone. You'll see that your battery life improves dramatically when you get into an area with stronger signal strength.
    Yes if you have poor signal, the best thing to do is put the phone into aeroplane mode, if you are going to be in the same area for a long period of time and also have poor cell reception.

Posted from my S5
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.

Not to sound like a broken record echoing the above comments.... but yes, your battery life is highly dependent on signal strength.

I live in a very rural area and have very poor signal strength in my home. For "at home" purposes I have purchased and installed a Verizon Network Extender which sources its' data from the internet. That way, the phone always has 5 bars anywhere in my home.

I work with the county road crews and spend a lot of time during the work day on roads that do not even get a 1x signal, much less 3g/4g.

My solution to keeping the battery in good health was to install MacroDroid and then create a few macros that sense the status of the screen.

When the screen is locked, MacroDroid turns off the internet totally. ie, WiFi is off, Data is off. Under this condition IF the phone is idle and not used, the phone only sips battery at about 5 or 6 percent in 24 hours.

I quite often am greeted with a lunch time (about 6 hours since off charger) battery reading of 98% and sometimes 99% for a minute or two until I opened up some apps.

MacroDroid's macros can be created to do anything you want. My main purpose with them though is to sense the screen's status and then turn ON the internet when I am using the phone. Likewise, when I touch the Power Button and the screen is locked, the internet is turned OFF.

I am not suggesting that everyone should do this, but it works great for me in the area that I live in.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

I would just turn the data off when you have a weak signal and/or you won't be using your phone

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Parham Goudarzi View Post
    I was wondering if your mobile data is always on? Because when I turn my data on, it uses alot of battery even when not in use!

This is why I only turn it on when I need it.
    bsettz likes this.

ROM
    None

Mine is always on, depending on signal strength I can easily go about a day without recharging my GS5.
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

I never shut my mobile data off. Even when on wifi I keep the mobile data toggle on.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I leave mine on 24/7. When the phone sits idle (like overnight), it loses less than a percentage point per hour so I don't think leaving data on really drains that much juice.

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    I leave mine on 24/7. When the phone sits idle (like overnight), it loses less than a percentage point per hour so I don't think leaving data on really drains that much juice.
    You can't make a statement like that without qualifications to it.

You apparently live in a very good signal area.

Also, you apparently don't have any social apps and other apps running that are constantly syncing with a host.

I had to get rid of Facebook because of all the background crap that app does. I do not have anything on my phone that needs to sync up with a server somewhere.

I have sync turned OFF on everything.

I live in a very rural area and I can attest to the fact that if the data is NOT turned off, my S5 will loose a lot of battery power.

I use MacroDroid to sense the Lockscreen status. When the phone is being used, the internet is turned ON.
    When I lock the screen, the internet is turned OFF.
    Using this procedure means that anytime that I want to use the phone, there will always be lots of battery power available.

If the phone is idle and not used at all, it will go 24 hours on about 5% per day. That means that on the weekends when my phone use is almost nil, it is still fresh to go on Monday.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

I have my mobile data, auto sync and location on and my battery lasts lasts more than a day with moderate use. For location I have it set for battery saver... meaning it doesn't use gps, but uses wifi and cell towers to report my location. One thing.. out of MANY things about the S5 is how great battery life is. I am really very impressed with the S5.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I have my mobile data, auto sync and location on and my battery lasts lasts more than a day with moderate use. For location I have it set for battery saver... meaning it doesn't use gps, but uses wifi and cell towers to report my location. One thing.. out of MANY things about the S5 is how great battery life is. I am really very impressed with the S5.
    Yes, the battery life is damned impressive but that doesn't negate the fact that your battery will drain very badly if you are in a marginal signal area with data 'on' with background apps running that require a data connection. In such situations your phone will 'search' for a connection by ramping up the onboard radio to 100% where it will stay until things improve or you shut off data.

Try it. Go into an area with only 3g service (or less) with less than two bars of signal strength and see what happens over a period of a few hours with data switched to 'on.'
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC

At home: data off and wifi on..i don't receive any mms anyway, when i'm out data on and wifi off.

I have unlimited data and I still turn it off and on when needed. I figure its just better for the battery
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I live in a low signal area, so I turn my data off when not in use and bump charge in the car. I always get a full day use with these actions. When I am in Denver, I can leave my LTE, on all day, as that kind of "well" connection is soft on the battery.

i can honestly say im a heavy user and use certain apps to control the battery issue..with many days of trying differnt things i can honestly say the battery last's all day..not saying its low when i go to sleep..im usually at 40 percent in a day of customizing..many reboots..many changes..wifi always on when im on the net at home..i use the 4g when not home and its fine..sure mobile data is going to tear the battery life down a bit..but what app isnt? i make mine go into sleep with a xposed module called ds battery saver..its awsome it goes to sleep not constantly waiting unless i turn screen on and unlock..then it will start using battery..airplane modes great for night time..nothings being pushed..no notifications etc..so the phones not active while your asleep..you dont have to use it..but its 1 of the ways i save life..hope this helped..more for rooted users..i use a cache cleaner also..good app! get rooted im on att and safestrapping it up visx rom..good day mates