Why do my apps stay on after closing them?

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I used PayPal 4 days ago. I tapped the button on the lower left of the phone that brings up the apps. I "closed all". I haven't checked my battery usage in a while until today. I noticed PayPal is still using a large portion of my battery???? The Time Warner Cable app did the same thing. I used it, closed all of the apps, yet it still continues to eat my battery?????

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why do apps continue to run after I manually close them, draining my battery?

Removing apps from the recent apps list doesn't close them (it just removes them from that list) and closing them doesn't prevent them from reopening. That being said, neither of those apps should be doing much of anything without you actively in the apps - was the device idle or being used normally?

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why do apps continue to run after I manually close them, draining my battery?

Removing apps from the recent apps list doesn't close them (it just removes them from that list) and closing them doesn't prevent them from reopening. That being said, neither of those apps should be doing much of anything without you actively in the apps - was the device idle or being used normally?

Normal use for the 4 days since I last used PayPal.

It is my understanding that "close all" means just that, closing the app so it is no longer running? Why would it not?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Normal use for the 4 days since I last used PayPal.

It is my understanding that "close all" means just that, closing the app so it is no longer running? Why would it not?

Many apps do not function correctly when closed, which is why automated task managers are very bad for Android. Android closes background tasks dynamically when it needs resources, so for the most part user intervention is not required except when trying to troubleshoot a specific problem. The recent apps list is only a list of recently used applications and provides a shortcut to return to that app. Removing it from that list doesn't impact the status of the app except for the availability of that quick way back to where you left off. Depending on the app clicking it's normal icon will either restart the app or return you to the last opened location, depending on how the app chooses to store that information in RAM and whether or not the OS has had to clear it out of memory to support other things. Many apps begin when you boot the device and have to be open that way in order for things like notifications to function, while others don't begin until you open the app via the icon, etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie