SD card to record video from camera

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I read the thread on selecting a 64mb class 10 SDHC card for The S5, and got from it recommendations for the Samsung EVO ($36.99 Amazon today) and SanDisk Ultra, ($42.25 Amazon, some Amazon users report failures) I read on Amazon that the Samsung Pro is probably overkill because it is faster than the throughput of the phone.

I want to try to use the phone to take videos of a sporting event that a family member participates in,, so I don't have to lug the video camera. I don't know if this matters to the card choice.

Given the above, which card would be good for me? One of the above or another?

Thanks for any advice!

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Can you record video to SD Card on the S5 Stock? Or, do you need to root in order to write to the SD card?

I read the thread on selecting a 64mb class 10 SDHC card for The S5, and got from it recommendations for the Samsung EVO ($36.99 Amazon today) and SanDisk Ultra, ($42.25 Amazon, some Amazon users report failures) I read on Amazon that the Samsung Pro is probably overkill because it is faster than the throughput of the phone.

I want to try to use the phone to take videos of a sporting event that a family member participates in,, so I don't have to lug the video camera. I don't know if this matters to the card choice.

Thanks for any advice!

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for any advice!

I have the Sandisk Ultra and it's been fine .

Can you record video to SD Card on the S5 Stock? Or, do you need to root in order to write to the SD card?

Records just fine to the sd card you don't need to be rooted. Where did you hear that ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since both SanDisk and Samsung make good cards (and are the only manufacturers of the chips in the cards), and SanDisk is the easier company to deal with if there's a problem, I always buy SanDisk. (There was a problem with the way Samsung handled large cards. Although Samsung should have fixed their phones, SanDisk modified their cards so they worked even with the Samsung bug. It's not something to worry about any more.)

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Rob, I did read the post on KitKat and SD cards. I don't know enough to know how that relates to what I want to do. Can you help me with that?

The phone is not rooted, and I do not want to do that.

Also, I haven't looked in to third party apps, but, now that you have made me aware of them, what would you recommend?

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

I recorded a bunch of Videos to my SD card using the stock video/camera app while I was at Watkins Glen for the races in June .

You just need to make sure you go into the camera settings and set it to save to the SD card. Works just fine . People are making such a big deal out of KK and the sd card handling and it really isn't that big of a deal.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
That's good to hear. Some, not all, apps aren't allowed to write to the SD card. For me, that's quite a big deal.

I recorded a bunch of Videos to my SD card using the stock video/camera app while I was at Watkins Glen for the races in June .

You just need to make sure you go into the camera settings and set it to save to the SD card. Works just fine . People are making such a big deal out of KK and the sd card handling and it really isn't that big of a deal.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Apparently, you can record directly to the SD Card, (according to fellow member 1Coopgt), without rooting using the stock video recorder. Just configure the video recorder settings to record to or save to the SD Card and not to your precious internal memory. Record away! :)

Rob, I did read the post on KitKat and SD cards. I don't know enough to know how that relates to what I want to do. Can you help me with that?

The phone is not rooted, and I do not want to do that.

Also, I haven't looked in to third party apps, but, now that you have made me aware of them, what would you recommend?

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of your help. I have ordered the SDSDQUI-064G-A46 from Bell and Howell. I first got chat support from them to ask the difference between their -A46 and the -A11 I had seen advertised elsewhere for what would have turned out to be more money, since the others were not free shipping, and confirmed my guess that the above last part of the model number refers to the release date, with the B&H being newer. This seemed like the thing to do given comments I have seen that the early SanDisk cards may not have been compatible with some features of the Galaxy S5.

Thank you to all of you who reminded me to set the camera to record to the SD card.

If all goes well for me, I may not write again (life moves on), but if I have an issue, I'll let you know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power