Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New batteries

So i bought a new battery recently as a backup for when i'm out and about.

Compared to the original battery that came with my S5, there were issues straight away. Firstly it wouldn't charge to more than 93%, until the 3rd charge. I also calibrated it properly a few times, by charging to 100% and draining to near 0%. Using UPSM overnight it was losing 15-20% charge and not 1% compared to the original battery. And generally during normal use it wasn't holding charge particularly well and only lasting 10-12 hours with 2-3 hours screen time. And on idle was using 5-10% per hour. Original batt lasts 1-2 days with 4-5hours screen time and uses 1% per hour on idle.

Ok I thought this batt must be defective, the seller also thought the same and sent a replacement. The 2nd battery although slightly better seems to be suffering with the same exact symptoms albeit not as bad as the 1st new battery. I doubt this is also defective.

I'm now back using the original battery and it seems better than ever before. Hardly using any charge when in use. It's almost as if the original battery was somehow tied to the phone when manufactured and using any other battery doesn't work as well, thoughts? Or is it simply a case that the seller i bought from has a defective batch of batteries? I doubt it as they are reputable.

Default Re: New batteries

Simple question....is the new battery a Samsung OEM? I learned a long time ago that buying batteris from secondary, non- OEM manufacturers (usually based in China) is a very risky thing. For an extra $15-$20 stick with OEM.

In a worst case scenario a crappy battery can conceivably ruin your entire phone in a number of nasty ways. As I said, it just isn't worth the risk.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes they both were, they had the correct code on them and came in the official Samsung packaging. Seller is in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by bIOforger View Post
    Yes they both were, they had the correct code on them and came in the official Samsung packaging. Seller is in Germany.
    Very odd that this should be happening with two separate batteries. Contact Samsung USA and/or buy an OEM directly from a USA source (Amazon comes to mind). I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the 220 volt standard that is in use in europe. We use 110 V.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Very odd that this should be happening with two separate batteries. Contact Samsung USA and/or buy an OEM directly from a USA source (Amazon comes to mind). I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the 220 volt standard that is in use in europe. We use 110 V.
    Yea it is strange. I'm in the UK, they were bought via Amazon, i don't think the voltage comes into it, so long as the battery has the official Samsung code on it. They could be relabeled Chinese tat with fake packaging i guess, but i doubt it looking at the packaging closely.

Compared to the original battery that came with my S5, there were issues straight away. Firstly it wouldn't charge to more than 93%, until the 3rd charge. I also calibrated it properly a few times, by charging to 100% and draining to near 0%. Using UPSM overnight it was losing 15-20% charge and not 1% compared to the original battery. And generally during normal use it wasn't holding charge particularly well and only lasting 10-12 hours with 2-3 hours screen time. And on idle was using 5-10% per hour. Original batt lasts 1-2 days with 4-5hours screen time and uses 1% per hour on idle.

Ok I thought this batt must be defective, the seller also thought the same and sent a replacement. The 2nd battery although slightly better seems to be suffering with the same exact symptoms albeit not as bad as the 1st new battery. I doubt this is also defective.

I'm now back using the original battery and it seems better than ever before. Hardly using any charge when in use. It's almost as if the original battery was somehow tied to the phone when manufactured and using any other battery doesn't work as well, thoughts? Or is it simply a case that the seller i bought from has a defective batch of batteries? I doubt it as they are reputable.
    I bought an extra back up battery directly from Samsung's website, no problems at all. Although, the country of origin is in vietnam instead. But it works fine.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    I bought an extra back up battery directly from Samsung's website, no problems at all. Although, the country of origin is in vietnam instead. But it works fine.
    Yep, same here both of them were manufactured in Vietnam, i reckon the seller has a dodgy batch of them, its the only explanation, seeing as my original battery is working perfectly.

Yep, same here both of them were manufactured in Vietnam, i reckon the seller has a dodgy batch of them, its the only explanation, seeing as my original battery is working perfectly.
    I got Tmobile, so my battery originally is from China.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So I got another one from another seller and it has the code on it that isn't the official Samsung OEM code. But it's giving me better performance than the original battery and i've only charged it once so far. Talk about inconsistent both in the battery hardware and probably the software to imo.

I have the exact same issue with my secondary OEM battery. I dont need it very often, so it hasn't concerned me too much. I also had the same issue with a secondary OEM battery that i bought for my previous S3. Go figure.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Burkhead View Post
    I have the exact same issue with my secondary OEM battery. I dont need it very often, so it hasn't concerned me too much. I also had the same issue with a secondary OEM battery that i bought for my previous S3. Go figure.
    Yep seems like there might be some quality control issues where some batteries are manufactured. Or its just accepted as normal

Where can you buy original spare batteries for the GS5?