Strange Issue with Google Voice Typing

vertigoelectric

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had this phone for about a month and I've only noticed this problem within the last couple of days.

I hate typing on the screen with my fingers/thumbs so I rely on Google Voice Input quite a lot when sending text messages. I noticed something annoying happening now.

As you may know, the Google voice input will type your words in as you speak them. I have noticed that while it listens to me, often it will NOT enter the last thing I say.
For example, if I say:

"This sentence is just a test"

...it will only enter:

"This sentence is just a"

At this point, I have two options. I can hit 'send' or I can press the red microphone icon to stop listening. If I press send, it will send the unfinished message, and then it will retype the entire message (including the previously omitted portion) again into the compose box, after which I must delete it. If I press the red icon to stop listening, only then will it append the end of my message to the text.

While typing this post, I tested this a bit more and found another possible outcome. This one seems quite consistent, actually...

While the phone is listening and I am speaking, it will type the words out. Sometimes it will enter all of the words properly, so that's good. However, it seems that when the phone stops listening, it will place the entire message into the compose box. If I haven't pressed 'send' yet, this means nothing, but if I have pressed 'send' already, then it means a duplicate of the message will be retyped into the compose box and I have to delete it.

I just did a test and the results are ridiculous. I'll tell you what I spoke into the phone and what the results where. I'll put [SEND] for when I sent the message:

"I want to try something now" [SEND]
"and see if it actually works" [SEND]
(after the last [SEND] it placed more text in the compose box so I sent one last time)

Results:

Message 1: "I want to try something"
Message 2: "I want to try something now and see if it actually"
Message 3: "and see if it actually"

I hope I explained this well enough that you understand what's going on and maybe we can fix it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Have seen several posts lately saying the same thing. The usual fixes for apps didn't seem to do anything, so it looks like to me that it is a bug with the latest update. Hopefully Google releases a fix for that soon seeing as it's been like this for a few weeks now.

vertigoelectric

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Have seen several posts lately saying the same thing. The usual fixes for apps didn't seem to do anything, so it looks like to me that it is a bug with the latest update. Hopefully Google releases a fix for that soon seeing as it's been like this for a few weeks now.

The thing is, as soon as I got the phone I rooted it and have thus not applied any of the updates (unless there was some secret background update that I was unaware of). I'm not saying it's not possible, but I don't think my phone has been udpated. I'm not sure what exactly happened to make this problem start.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, as soon as I got the phone I rooted it and have thus not applied any of the updates (unless there was some secret background update that I was unaware of). I'm not saying it's not possible, but I don't think my phone has been udpated. I'm not sure what exactly happened to make this problem start.
Updates to Google voice and other Google services are made independent of the OS. So you can still have received an update for the app even if you were rooted.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Same here! I haven't done the extensive testing, I just know that it won't put the last word on the screen until I hit the mic button to stop recording.
I'm going to try clearing data for Google Voice. This is aggravating!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Same here! I haven't done the extensive testing, I just know that it won't put the last word on the screen until I hit the mic button to stop recording.
I'm going to try clearing data for Google Voice. This is aggravating!

Didn't seem to do anything for the other users. I really think this is the bug in the latest update.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

vertigoelectric

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I guess we'll just have to live with it for now. Do you think there's any way to replace the stock voice input engine? I know if I use the Touchpal X keyboard, they offer the option of using their own voice input engine...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I guess we'll just have to live with it for now. Do you think there's any way to replace the stock voice input engine? I know if I use the Touchpal X keyboard, they offer the option of using their own voice input engine...
Not as far as I know. For the keyboard it's always been Google Voice for me.