Using FB messenger app = laggy keyboard?

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
While messaging back and forth with people on FB messenger app, my keyboard lags LIKE CRAZY. It's fine until my phone receives a message as I am typing. It lags, bad, then catches up. Is that normal behavior?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Has this always been the case for you or did it begin recently? I don't use Facebook often, but the keyboard seems fine. Shouldn't be normal. Is it fine in other messaging apps?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used the app until recently. Seems OK using text messaging. Its REALLY bad in FB messenger. Almost unusable.
And it's been a problem ever since you used it?
Have you tested out other keyboards to see if it's not just limited to Samsung's?

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
And it's been a problem ever since you used it?
Have you tested out other keyboards to see if it's not just limited to Samsung's?

Yes and yes. All keyboards have the same issue. Its a shame the app is the problem. There are no alternatives.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes and yes. All keyboards have the same issue. Its a shame the app is the problem. There are no alternatives.

You're using the dedicated messenger app, right?
Is it bad when you use the one built into the FB app?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, you can no longer use the one built into the FB app. It directs you to the messenger app when you try. The only option for using messages on FB is to use the dedicated Messenger app.

If I am wrong, please correct me. I hope I am wrong, I dislike using the messenger app. I switched from an iPhone where you CAN still using the built in messages in FB. So this just baffles me.

trinkner

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I uninstalled the main Facebook app and did not install Facebook Messenger, because of fears of both privacy invasion and a slowed phone. I've used Chrome to create a shortcut on my homepage for the Facebook mobile web site. It lets me do nearly everything of the Facebook app (including messaging), without the system drain or privacy concerns of the Facebook apps. The mobile site via the bookmark opens very quickly on my S5.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, you can no longer use the one built into the FB app. It directs you to the messenger app when you try. The only option for using messages on FB is to use the dedicated Messenger app.

If I am wrong, please correct me. I hope I am wrong, I dislike using the messenger app. I switched from an iPhone where you CAN still using the built in messages in FB. So this just baffles me.

I uninstalled the messenger app and I can still use the built in one. It just says that they're soon going to make it exclusive to the dedicated app.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I uninstalled the main Facebook app and did not install Facebook Messenger, because of fears of both privacy invasion and a slowed phone. I've used Chrome to create a shortcut on my homepage for the Facebook mobile web site. It lets me do nearly everything of the Facebook app (including messaging), without the system drain or privacy concerns of the Facebook apps. The mobile site via the bookmark opens very quickly on my S5.

I suppose that's a good work around :)
Sorry we weren't able to resolve the keyboard lag.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not a very convenient work around. A lot of features I'm used to using on the FB app would be missing.

Your phrasing above made it sound like it was :p
Have you tried clearing the cache for the Messenger app?

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Your phrasing above made it sound like it was :p
Have you tried clearing the cache for the Messenger app?

Sorry. That work around is not convenient......

I just installed the app. Not sure why I would have to clear the cache already. That's pretty bad if it is something that has to be done regularly.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. That work around is not convenient......

I just installed the app. Not sure why I would have to clear the cache already. That's pretty bad if it is something that has to be done regularly.

Doesn't hurt to try. I've had to do it on apps only a couple of days before a previous clearing of the cache.
You sure you still can't use built in one? It should just be saying that it WILL be replaced, not that it has.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't hurt to try. I've had to do it on apps only a couple of days before a previous clearing of the cache.
You sure you still can't use built in one? It should just be saying that it WILL be replaced, not that it has.

Yes, I am sure. There is no option to use it. The only 2 options are to download it and to learn more about it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am sure. There is no option to use it. The only 2 options are to download it and to learn more about it.

:-\
Can't really think of anything else. Might just a bug in the app. I'm going to download it again to see if it happens for me too.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Oops. Almost forgot to check back.
Tried the app, and it does seem a bit slow. Nothing I couldn't deal with.
I agree that the app is the problem though, that should really be improved since they are making it a dedicated app.

joan buhayo

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
Found this thread just recently since I've been experiencing the lagging keyboard right after I factory resetted my note 3 (I didn't experience this before). Have you tried moving the app to your sd card? :) I've been experiencing this and moving the app to the memory card of the phone worked :) Hope this helps! (Tho it's been years hahaha)