Missing photos on my Galaxy S5

Dickoniner

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I took some photos today on my S5 and even reviewed some of them straight away, but now they are missing. I definitely didn't delete any but I can't find them in any folders. Has anyone else had this happen? and if so, is there a way I can get those photos back again?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Dickoniner

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes it does show in the gallery. I reviewed the photo, at the time, to show somebody and closed the gallery. When I went back to look for it later, after taking other photos, it was gone. This is the second time this has happened. The other photos I took later on are all there.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes it does show in the gallery. I reviewed the photo, at the time, to show somebody and closed the gallery. When I went back to look for it later, after taking other photos, it was gone. This is the second time this has happened. The other photos I took later on are all there.
Hmm. If they didn't save, you won't be able to retrieve them unfortunately. Did it happen to just a couple of pictures or a lot of them?

Dickoniner

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It only happened to a couple of images. It's just weird because I reviewed the image which to me seems like it saved it initially. Thanks for replying and trying to help.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It only happened to a couple of images. It's just weird because I reviewed the image which to me seems like it saved it initially. Thanks for replying and trying to help.
Of the ones that did save, did you look at the preview for those right after taking the pic?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Am just wondering if I should try some sort of recovery software. Does anybody recommend anything or have any suggestions?
Those aren't very effective. Maybe if you were rooted prior, and if they were actually saved to the device at some point.
I'm thinking maybe clicking the preview prematurely may have prevented those from saving correctly.

Dickoniner

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Those aren't very effective. Maybe if you were rooted prior, and if they were actually saved to the device at some point.
I'm thinking maybe clicking the preview prematurely may have prevented those from saving correctly.

Thanks for your advice. I will run some test to see if I can replicate it again and work out where the issue is.

Alexey Zhaleika

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I took some photos today on my S5 and even reviewed some of them straight away, but now they are missing. I definitely didn't delete any but I can't find them in any folders. Has anyone else had this happen? and if so, is there a way I can get those photos back again?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Once i thought i lost my photos. But... i found these later. In camera settings i set destination folder to sd card. When you doing burst shot phone stores photos in phone mem. So by default i dont saw photos in camera album.... but this is forewords... have you tried to use timeview mode in native galery app? This ignores folders and shows photos sorted just by date. If photos not there then something bad happened. One more way to recover, if autobackup to some cloud services turned on then probably this can help to extract lost on phone photos.

mklasse

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
My cousin lost all of his pictures on his previous Galaxy S4 once. He did not deleted them, just all of sudden the gallery was empty. It was weird.
I actually set up dropbox to auto upload my camera images whenever I connect to wifi, just to be safe.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My cousin lost all of his pictures on his previous Galaxy S4 once. He did not deleted them, just all of sudden the gallery was empty. It was weird.
I actually set up dropbox to auto upload my camera images whenever I connect to wifi, just to be safe.

Everyone should be doing that.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Well this happened to me over the weekend. Took a pic and noticed that there was only the one I'd just taken in the gallery. Mistakenly assumed that after a certain number of photos it just creates a second folder. Nope! All my pics are history.

Fortunately, anything important got uploaded to facebook or was emailed to myself, but I think I'll set up a dropbox thing for future pics.

geogeogeo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I see I'm not alone. I took over 500 pics/vids of our house for future sale. I was able to bring them up for a couple days, but then they ALL disappeared after I took another 250 or so of my niece's wedding, which also disappeared after taking one photo of a lottery ticket, which still exists but is not a winner. What is going on here??? I've been working without a cloud for 15 years, and now it looks like this is my fault because I don't trust cloud security. I'm just giving up I guess.

FTR, I have my computer updated with the latest Samsung USB drivers. I have an encrypted 64GB SD card which I can browse just fine via phone and computer (via USB 3). I will be carrying around my Lumix from now on because I know exactly where everything is at all times, and I have NEVER lost a single photo in my 15 years of digital photography,

EDIT: Okay, so I touched on a couple of other topics that belong in a different thread - sorry 'bout that. But to me, these were VERY important photos. I got lazy and lost my stuff because I did not take the time for a proper backup. I will consider a solution for that.

But, does not the OP's original question still stand? As for me, it's hard to swallow that I just need to accept this errant behavior. This kind of stuff isn't supposed to "just happen." I will try to reproduce the issue because there seems to be a pattern, and I will report back here with or without a solution. And I also need to reconsider my cloud attitude. I've developed for the cloud, but I'm probably too reluctant to use it.

Again, my apologies for flaming the universe.

Last edited:

LaurenG1113

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Did anyone figure this out? I had all my photos tranfered from my S3 to my S5. They were there for a while and now they have completely disappeared. Annoying.

geogeogeo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Sorry you lost your pics. I've taken about 600 pictures with my new S5 and I have zero to show for it. That is the only pattern I see i I take a picture and it goes away. Videos are fine on my encrypted sd card, and I and I can view them both on my camera and on my computer after doing a USB3 transfer. Every time I take a picture, it seems hopeful but eventually it disappears. Lately I've been seeing the "broken-icon" image for new pics. It does not make sense that the phone cannot read an image that was created by the phone itself. Windows cannot read these broken images either..."bad format."

My Apple crapped out 3 months before my Verizon contract ended, my S5 is unacceptable (e.g., I was forcefully interrupted 5 times to sign in while shooting some video), and it is totally useless for stills. I'm now debating between a Windows phone or one of my older flip phones. I just want simple and this isn't it.

5picker

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Do any of you have this problem when saving pics to the internal memory?
Maybe you have a corrupt SD card?
Remove the card and save some shots to the device and see what happens.

I have hundreds and hundreds of photos on my 64GB card with zero issues. (all backed up of course)
Everyone isn't having this problem.