Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone keeps completely shutting off when lock screen turns on?

I've had the Galaxy S5 since the week it came out, and I have never run across this issue.

Recently, after a few seconds after the phone goes into a standby mode after being idle for 1 minute, the phone actually just completely turns off.
    Similarly, a few seconds after I click the lock button, the phone will shut off. It's not immediately after the screen goes into standby mode, but rather about 5 seconds.
    I've taken the battery out and restarted the phone multiple times, but this issue still arises.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Phone keeps completely shutting off when lock screen turns on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergnio View Post
    I've had the Galaxy S5 since the week it came out, and I have never run across this issue.

Recently, after a few seconds after the phone goes into a standby mode after being idle for 1 minute, the phone actually just completely turns off.
    Similarly, a few seconds after I click the lock button, the phone will shut off. It's not immediately after the screen goes into standby mode, but rather about 5 seconds.
    I've taken the battery out and restarted the phone multiple times, but this issue still arises.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to AC!
    Have you tried wiping the cache partition in recovery mode?
    Here's a guide for the S4, but it's the same for the S5. http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5744

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for your reply UJ95x

I just tried wiping cache partition in recovery mode and it did not resolve my problem.
    There is no water damage,or any other major issue which might be messing this up. Any other suggestions?
    One person suggested that it might be a hardware issue, not so much a software issue

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Thanks for your reply UJ95x

I just tried wiping cache partition in recovery mode and it did not resolve my problem.
    There is no water damage,or any other major issue which might be messing this up. Any other suggestions?
    One person suggested that it might be a hardware issue, not so much a software issue
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. If there is something wrong with one of the components it might be causing it to shut down automatically.
    Do you have insurance with your carrier?

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm not 100% that I do. I tried cleaning the battery a little, as suggested by someone but that didn't seem to help.
    I'm going to try another battery from another S5 that isn't having any issues and report the results back here!

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I'm not 100% that I do. I tried cleaning the battery a little, as suggested by someone but that didn't seem to help.
    I'm going to try another battery from another S5 that isn't having any issues and report the results back here!
    Cool. You can check with your carrier if you have insurance. In any case, as long as you haven't damaged your device the manufacturer warranty should still cover that.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I greatly do appreciate your dedication to answering questions, and not only do you answer them, you respond very quickly!!! Thank you very much for that
    but after a little more digging on the internet for some answers, the perpetrator turns out to be my Micro SD card! It randomly stopped working yesterday, and now that I think about it, that's when all of my issues started occurring.
    So after taking out the SD card and restarting the phone, I haven't run into any of the 'black screen' issues since!

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I greatly do appreciate your dedication to answering questions, and not only do you answer them, you respond very quickly!!! Thank you very much for that
    but after a little more digging on the internet for some answers, the perpetrator turns out to be my Micro SD card! It randomly stopped working yesterday, and now that I think about it, that's when all of my issues started occurring.
    So after taking out the SD card and restarting the phone, I haven't run into any of the 'black screen' issues since!
    Wow. So seemingly unrelated and that was the cause lol
    Glad it's working now. And yes, I answer quickly because I basically live here