Sound gone

zbug

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've been trying desperately by myself to fix it but after a day of trying and no luck i'm posting here for ideas! (i'm quite techy myself just in case!)

Sounds from the back speaker are gone. I can plug my headphones, listen to music etc. I can place a call and hear (but if i touch the speaker icon, nothing happens). Even when i boot/reboot the phone, the usual music from bootlogo isnt going anymore.

I've had my S5 (Europe model) for 2 weeks now and all has been ok so far (just migrated from iphone). Can't say everything is perfect and less user friendly but yeah, you get used to it !

Not saying this is linked but that's the only thing i've done today.
As i have been unable to send mms but receive them fine, i was checking things here and there and saw a system update. When i checked for update it said it had a ~200mb update to do. It did it fine and after reboot everything was still working as expected until suddenly the sound went off.

I have tried to wipe the cache partition several time, had several reboots but nothing. I really really do not want to go the factory reset and have to re-install everything.. so i'm looking and open to try as many things as possible until this is my last solution.

Any help appreciated!

regards

BuG

Edit: (just left the initial post in case in can help anyone !)

After keep trying, i thought about just completely removing the battery and leave it be for 15mins. and...it worked
Now, i want to understand...

Is removing the battery doing anything special to the OS that cannot be done via cache wipe, reboots etc ?

cheers.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums, and Android. The battery pull probably drained all power through the device leaving the chipset no power to keep anything in memory. I don't know why that happens, I just know it can.
When you rebooted after that, everything had to load from scratch, and cleared whatever error was there to begin with.

Has the problem reoccurred?

zbug

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks ! (been lurking around here for so long !)

After the reboot and so far everything works fine. i'm going to go through a few reboots, shut downs etc to make sure, but it looks fine.. not sure what can hae caused that "bug"

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Something similar happened to me yesterday and I didn't get to work on time. The alarm, notifications, nothing worked. After some reboots when the reboot sound didn't play, and a battery pull, it started working again. Fyi, my battery did not deplete completely....

Posted via Android Central App

zbug

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
At least we have some fix/workaround if that happens again. i only took off my battery for like 15mins or so, did not deplete it either (i think i was around 60% or so before removing it)