Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By WhiteiPadMini
  • 1 Post By mikem3223
  • 1 Post By troshs
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S5 Arrived with Purple Xs on Water "Damage" Sticker

My S5 arrived yesterday and both the battery and the phone itself have purple Xs on the water ingress sticker (images of both attached). That means that it is NOT "water damaged", correct? I read somewhere that it IS damaged if there are Xs, but somewhere else that the Xs mean it has NOT been touched by water, as the purple Xs 'bleed' out into the sticker and turn it red if water touches it.

This is the second S5 BestBuy.com has sent me, both with purple Xs on the stickers. Just making sure it is all good before I let them off the hook.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to provide!S5 Arrived with Purple Xs on Water "Damage" Sticker-20140821_161937.jpgS5 Arrived with Purple Xs on Water "Damage" Sticker-20140821_161714.jpg

Default Re: S5 Arrived with Purple Xs on Water "Damage" Sticker

Welcome to Android Central! According to this video, they should be white if not water damaged:

Sorry, but this thread says that normal is white with red X's, and water damage causes the red to bleed all over the sticker, making it all red. How can you tell if water indicator had been tripped?

Let me look into this more ...
    Thanked by:

Ok, I'm pretty sure that if you see the X's, it's dry. If it has bled and the whole sticker turns blue or red, then it's water damaged:

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Mine doesn't even have a sticker on the inside of the phone. I see a small hole with a sticker of some sorts under it. Does everyone have a sticker?

Mine is just white. No x marks at all. I would check with best buy.

I have both the black model s5 and the electric blue model s5 that I recently got at best buy and both of them are just white. No X marks. Even my s4 does not have it either.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T

UK phone the one on the phone is white no x's on it, the one on the battery is solid black brand new phone 10 days old.

I would be asking for a refund.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I bought mine from Verizon & it has the same white sticker with purple x's.

Here is what mine looks like

It may be different for carriers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5 Arrived with Purple Xs on Water "Damage" Sticker-20140822_101014.jpg   S5 Arrived with Purple Xs on Water "Damage" Sticker-20140822_100928.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    nikkisharif and emad1995 like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Went straight to Samsung for help. Appears that the sticker would have been all pink/red if damaged, not white with Xs. See attachment.

If someone with a VERIZON S5 could confirm, that would be awesome!
    S5 Arrived with Purple Xs on Water "Damage" Sticker-samsung_water.png
    nikkisharif likes this.

So it looks like the Verizon models comes with the white sticker with the X on them. Not sure why AT&T models is just plain white.

And I think it needs to be clarified--based on what I read on various web sources, I think a water damaged sticker will be solidly pink or purple, depending on the initial color of the X's. That rep made it sound like the purple X's would change to pink X's, which I don't think is the case. In the OP's situation, the sticker would turn all purple if water damaged.

I think that was what the OP was getting at when he asked "All pink, correct?"

Just for some variation, I have an S5 Active, only one sticker, white, on the top of the battery to the right of the terminals. None in the battery tray, although I'm sure there is at least one more inside the phone.

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

Can anyone with a Sprint S5 check to see if there is even a sticker on it? I have seen 2 both with no stickers. 1 I just bought on Swappa that seems to be working fine but no sticker. Battery can easily be swapped to show no damage to the battery.

I have the AT&T version and can confirm that AT&T S5's are white stickers with NO purple X's. Sounds like the purple X thing is a Verizon specific

Wow, this variation is pretty silly. I wonder if anyone has ever been denied warranty coverage because they were told there was water damage, but instead it was the technician who misread the water damage sticker. With so many variants, it sure seems possible.

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

G900H AMF g900f I don't see them it's pure white

Global Posts
    721 Global Posts

Verizon tends to use the Xs. If you have AT&T then you should not see xs, just white squares. The whole thing turns color when water damaged. Our Samsung rep came into our wireless center at work last month and explained it all out. It depends on the carrier.

Boom! From My S5
    ~~ You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.
    Thanked by:
    nikkisharif likes this.

My s5 stickers are white no red or purple x's on it. Perhaps it is carrier specific stickers??? Mine is tmobile and bought right when it came out...

I would tell you better to go into best buy and check the phones there.....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Does anyone here know if that sticker can react to the moisture in you hands
    cause my phone was working perfect 3 days ago and the something with the software did something to my phone then is would stop working
    then it said it had it didn't have the official os
    now the battery does work I have never put my phone in water and i have a case the help even more to moisture out

ok if its purples x's on a version model means no water damage
    It will turn red (100% sure red )or i think blue , there is water damage
    if they tell you it is water damage it is water it is not do not listen to them if it is

All white no x,s from at&t store

Posted from galaxyS5

I am so glad you made this thread. I just bought a used Verizon S5 and saw the purple X and was worried that there was some water damage. Seems like it is carrier specific as to what the stickers look like. My friend has the AT&T branded galaxy S5 & he checked for me and it was completely white.

i just bought a galaxy note 3 att from ebay and it came with the white sticker with red x's on the phone and a white sticker on the battery, i was panicking thinking that someone sold me a water damage phone, i was about to request a refund but i wanted to be sure about it, so it looks like it is ok