Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thatguy97
  • 1 Post By troshs
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So, you can use your old charger from S3/S4

Went to Best Buy today and swaped my phone for another since it was having issues with the screen not wanting to come on..... anyway, me amd another guy noticed that they were using the S3/S4 style USB cable on our phones. We asked the girl and she said that they work fine, they just dont charge as fast.

Discuss.

What's to discuss?

Posted via Nexus 7 2013 or Galaxy S5
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts

Default Re: So, you can use your old charger from S3/S4

I charge mine with s4 sometimes it's just fine

Posted via the Android Central App

The best thing the FCC did for us was to force the portable electronic device industry to standardize on the same type charger plug for everything.

Nokia, Motorola, Sony, Samsung cellphones all use the USB 2.0 mini USB interface type port.
    And so does the Kindle Paperwhite reader and the Kindle Fire tablet and just about everything else on the market.

I have an old Plantronics Bluetooth earpiece that is long out of production and it also uses the same exact USB 2.0 type charging port.

Lordy I do remember the cell phones of a decade ago, get a new one and you had to buy another charger because the plugs were all proprietary. Thank god that is long gone.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

There's still one company out there with a proprietary charger.

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

Main thing that the big charger does is transfer data faster. Folks say charging is the same but I swear mine charges a hell of a lot faster on the big charger than on the regular micro usb.

Boom! From My S5
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.
    MrJBot likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    The best thing the FCC did for us was to force the portable electronic device industry to standardize on the same type charger plug for everything.

Nokia, Motorola, Sony, Samsung cellphones all use the USB 2.0 mini USB interface type port.
    And so does the Kindle Paperwhite reader and the Kindle Fire tablet and just about everything else on the market.

I have an old Plantronics Bluetooth earpiece that is long out of production and it also uses the same exact USB 2.0 type charging port.

Lordy I do remember the cell phones of a decade ago, get a new one and you had to buy another charger because the plugs were all proprietary. Thank god that is long gone.
    Micro, not mini.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't fry my phone.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

H*** I use the car charger from my old BB Storm and it works just fine .

Quote Originally Posted by troshs View Post
    Main thing that the big charger does is transfer data faster. Folks say charging is the same but I swear mine charges a hell of a lot faster on the big charger than on the regular micro usb.

Boom! From My S5
    Mine seems to charge faster with the USB 3.0 cable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ABOSWORTH007 View Post
    Mine seems to charge faster with the USB 3.0 cable as well.
    That is because the USB 3.0 cable is of higher quality and has a heavier gauge wire for the charging circuit.

The charging leads are terminated in the USB 2.0 port only.

The USB 3.0 port only has the higher speed data circuits for faster file transfers and has nothing to do with the charging rate/capability.

A new, short length, high quality USB 2.0 cable will charge at the same rate as the OEM USB 3.0 cable will provided that it is plugged into a 2.1 amp charger module/source or better.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

I think that I should also mention that micros for older phones don't have as much amperage (?) as newer ones so basically you will charge but it will take a heck of a long time. This is due to older phones having less crap to run therefore needing less power.
    Studies were done extensively, but have concluded that yes, the bird is the word.

So what's to discuss? Try having an open dialogue. Let's discuss that.

Why post if you are not going to contribute? Waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy97 View Post
    What's to discuss?

Posted via Nexus 7 2013 or Galaxy S5

Most of the world didn't receive a usb 3.0 cable with the phone. Most of the world was aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by tomothy94 View Post
    Most of the world didn't receive a usb 3.0 cable with the phone. Most of the world was aware of this.
    Yep, I'm one of those who've gotten an USB2.0 cable inside my S5 box. On the other hand, my friend received the USB 3.0 cable, looks like those USB 3.0 cables are more like, random?

Anyways, the charger that was delivered with the S5 charges with 2.1A while the S4 charger does 2.0A.
    I bought myself an USB 3.0 cable, it's thick as hell (like 8mm thick). Despite the cable is 1.8meters long, it charges faster than the USB2.0 cable (0.5m i think) that came with the phone.

The micro USB 3.0 connector was designed to be compatible with the micro USB 2.0. And yes, the 3.0 cable will charge faster than a 2.0 cable when connected to a charger that provides enough current.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

So, I have answered this before, but in a more general sense. The USB 3.0 physical connector ONLY uses the USB 2.0 portion of the assembly for power supply, so there is no reason, at the connector, that one type would charge faster or slower, from a standards basis.

HOWEVER... after a little research, I discovered this: Virtually all data signal wires within the cable are 28 gauge, in both 2.0 and 3.0 cables. Power wires, OTOH, were always 24 gauge in 3.0 cables (at least in the sources I found), and were one of 28, 24 or 20 gauge in the vast majority of the available 2.0 cabling.

We can make some reasonable assumption that a higher gauge (and thus thinner) wire is going to provide more resistance and thus less current flow (assuming the copper is of comparable purity in each gauge). So, it is also reasonable to assume some 2.0 cables will charge slower than the provided 3.0 cable, and some 2.0 cables will charge faster. And, given identical cable construction, a longer cable will attenuate the power more than a shorter one, also providing a slower charging pace.

Summarizing, given a charging brick of constant amperage, a higher quality cable will charge faster than a lower quality one, as the higher quality cables will tend toward lower gauge power wires. And, it is true that most, if not all 3.0 cables seem to be assembed with power wires that are lower gauge than at least some of the 2.0 cables on the market, meaning that you will probably always get reasonable charging performance from a 3.0 cable in good condition.

Simply put: spend a little extra money on cables of whichever standard you choose, and you will reap the benefits when charging.
    The truth is the truth, in spite of what you believe. -me
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I'm so glad we have all these smart people here.....