Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SMS app

Hey everyone, just wondering if you guys and girls use the main sms app that comes with the Samsung S5. I've been looking at using a 3rd party app. What do you use?

Default Re: Sms app

I use hangouts. It's a lot cleaner than the stock sms client.

Posted from my S5
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.
    Thanked by:

Handcent is a great sms app. Been using it for years.
    Thanked by:
    rw40 likes this.

I recently started using evolve sms. I really like it.
    Thanked by:

I use gosms. I have tried handcent and chomp but I didn't like those.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith10 View Post
    Hey everyone, just wondering if you guys and girls use the main sms app that comes with the Samsung S5. I've been looking at using a 3rd party app. What do you use?
    Does any know of an sms app that lets u send / initiate the message without backing out of whatever app your using?

Posted from galaxyS5

Quote Originally Posted by bsettz View Post
    Does any know of an sms app that lets u send / initiate the message without backing out of whatever app your using?

Posted from galaxyS5
    I am using Go SMS Pro, the free version ( a PITA, but I can't afford the paid version )

I go back and forth copy/pasting data from and/or to the SMS app and other sources.

I just hit the center menu button and select the other app, or I use the left side Recent Apps touch button to go back and forth. Depends on whether the "other app" has been in use yet or not.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off=Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on=WiFi Data ON
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Hangout is great and your can use it with your chrome browser on your computer
    Sent from my precious..
    Thanked by:

Textra. Pure Simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    Textra. Pure Simplicity.
    Same. I've been using Textra from day one on my S5 and I love it.

I use Textra aswell, very pleased, and its simple to use.

I'm trying out textra. I like it, but is there a way to set individual notification sounds for certain people?

Tried textra no send sms via notification panel with out closing app. Dissapointed😧 imma try Go SMS. Chomp does exactly what I want but im getting sms ads. Basically looking for bite sms (iphone jailbreak cydia store) but on my galaxys5 for free.

Posted from galaxyS5

Smitten SMS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ten.smms&hl=en

The best one I've used. you can customize everything. UI, colors, nav bars, anything. I love it, looked for a simple great app for a long time. It's free on xda or 2 dollars.

Also it looks so much better than the other text apps.
    Thanked by:
    bsettz 

Handscent. Tried textra it's good but lacks some options that I need.

rob damiani and bsettz like this.

I used to use Go SMS Pro a couple phones ago, until it turned the texts I sent into gibberish on the other persons phone, did the same when I used it on my last phone also. Thought it was odd. I'm sticking with the stock sms on my S5 Active, but I may try hangouts.
    rob damiani and bsettz like this.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

Based upon recommendations above, I downloaded Textra yesterday. So far, I really like it.
    bsettz likes this.

Textra. I love the UI and the performance.

Evolve here

Quote Originally Posted by bsettz View Post

Posted from galaxyS5
    Use multi-window

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5

I've tried several and all of the above.

I have always gone back to Go SMS Pro

It is stable and predictable and even the free version works just fine.

I am not bothered by the little advert window at the bottom, I just ignore it.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day using ART

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid > Scrn off=Wifi Data OFF > Scrn on=WiFi Data ON

Do any of these 3rd party apps solve the problem of the S5 being unable to receive text messages sent from Apple devices? I got my S5 about a month ago (previous phone was an iPhone 4S) and most people had trouble sending messages to my S5 because Apple uses a proprietary format on their messages. Now that I have turned off iMessage (Apple's messaging app) on my iPad, the problem is not as bad but some people still say they cannot send me text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by sartick View Post
    Do any of these 3rd party apps solve the problem of the S5 being unable to receive text messages sent from Apple devices? I got my S5 about a month ago (previous phone was an iPhone 4S) and most people had trouble sending messages to my S5 because Apple uses a proprietary format on their messages. Now that I have turned off iMessage (Apple's messaging app) on my iPad, the problem is not as bad but some people still say they cannot send me text messages.
    I have never had any issues sending or receiving texts from iPhone users. I was using gosms with no problem and since I started using textra yesterday still no issues.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sartick View Post
    I had that problem, it wasn't with the S5 but rather imessage. I ended up calling a number (apple support I think) and having my number removed from their imessage server. After 24hrs or so no more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody15045 View Post
    I had that problem, it wasn't with the S5 but rather imessage. I ended up calling a number (apple support I think) and having my number removed from their imessage server. After 24hrs or so no more issues.

I spoke with AppleCare this morning and my phone # seems to have been removed from their iMessage server a while ago. It probably happened when I went to my Apple account and manually deleted my phone number from my profile. Perhaps that action gets carried from my profile to the iMessage server. To be honest, I haven't spoke to anyone who has had trouble sending me a text message in the past week so maybe it took a while before removing my # took effect. This morning I have also installed Textra and it will be interesting to see if any further issues surface. Thanks for all responses.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast